Serious question, Pro's only please.

• Members

Not sure what city your in, but you need to get your butt over to a couple of REAL studios and get on the phone and talk to a couple of the cats there. You would be surprised at how gracious some of them are.

I did something similar a few years back when I was looking into high-end studio monitors, equalizers, etc. Literally spoke with sound engineers from Nashville to LA about certain components. One of them had just finished the final mix on Bonnie Raitt's latest album at the time, for example. Nice guy.

Why would they help you? Could you become their competition?

The questions are rhetorical. When they have the time, they will talk with you because they are solid in their craft and know that it's more than just equipment. That may seem obvious, but for many, it isn't. A lot of recordings out there are made with what would be considered shockingly "antiquated" equipment to some.

No way, you should just take a $100K and spend it on a couple of peoples suggestions. You need to research and learn what questions are the RIGHT questions to ask in the first place.

Homework first.

Ya dig?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Buy yourself out of the world of work so that you can focus on your first love.
Invite as many musicians as you can to play with you until you find the right people and chemistry!
I'ts all about having fun and chemistry... think about it:
Page and Plant
Bono and his high school friends
The Beatles live together at first
Gilmour, and Nick Mason, (and the band's original synergy with Sid and Roger and Rick.
Chuck Berry played country until a piano player named Johnny Johnson hooked up with him... Oh yeah... most of you are thinking "what an asshole"... Right?
Well, who started rock and roll?
not so funny now, eh you geniuses?
I'll tell you who it was... It was Johnny Johnson when he asked Chuck to sit in one new years eve gig.
Sorry, not Little Richard... Not Bo Diddley.
go get Johnny's book... then if you still don't agree, find Keith Richards and get in his face!!!
Good luck!

P.S. Sorry I got excited.

• Members

I already have recording gear that can do that.

I already have CD account's...

Heres what i have been using

RolandVS 890, VS-2400 with a Roland SI-24 I also have a R-bus.

Roland DS-90A active digital reference monitors.

And 5 racks full of crap.

Digidesign Mbox factory

Pro-tools 6.7

Cubase sx3 and Nuendo3.

We barely have that much gear and keep the doors open -- we have had our studios for nearly 25 years >> why spend more ? Learn the craft ~~ with the gear at hand...

• Members

how about invest the $100k... buy gear off the dividends. OR buy a building with the $100k [adn then a LOT more] and just record in it with a nice PC/Nuendo setup... at least you wont lose money on the building [most likely] and probably make a ton in 10 years.

• Members

It's pretty good actually.

But, it's a long way from home, relatively.

Something about line 6 gtrs combined.

That aside, the drums and bottom end need serious attention.

How did you track the drums and with what gear?

i'm at home now and listening on okay-quality computer speakers, but based on this admittedly poor listening situation, I'd agree with Halljams. It is pretty good already, and I agree with his other comments.

In my opinion, the drums seem to lack impact, including the kick, and the bottom end seems "tubby". The high-hat is not only too loud, but really shrill and thin sounding. IOW, even if it were lower in the mix, it's still not a great sound. The drums also don't seem to have that elusive "glue" that binds 'em together (you know what I mean, eh?).

Dunno if this helps or not.

• Members

That Fletcher guy is SUCH a jerk. I wanted to buy this preamp, see. He REFUSED to sell it to me. HE MADE me buy a different one. When it came in the mail I didn't understand what was the big deal. Dang, that was expensive. It took a few months to realize what I had, and I still learn from that preamp. That jerk, Fletcher, did a good thing.

See, it takes, like dinosaur years for me to learn this stuff because I'm on my own. I agree with the other guys that are saying to take it easy, go slow. The experience you are gaining is way more important than the gear anyway.

• Members

If you're talking gear only, here are my thoughts....

If you're highly concerned about sticking with industry standards and handling mixes people bring to you from other facilities then I see no reason you couldn't go for PTHD.

Personally I'd rather save a little money, and get a couple super fast computers with DSP cards, running Nuendo or Logic. Then spend the money you saved on good ADDA, Monitors, pres, dynamics, and mics. A console might be stretching it depending on what you get.

However, you did say an open warehouse, right? That's where your money will go....and it should. It wouldn't make sense to have the best possible gear in a room that sounds like {censored} right?

You'll have to find a good balance between the building, the quality of the gear you buy and the quantity of the gear you buy. Make it goal oriented. Don't get a huge console if you don't need that many channels. Don't get a bunch of mediocre mic pres, get just enough good ones. Don't make redundant choices, and try to buy gear that retains its value.

But, yeah, to echo what other people said: If you don't know how to spend it, you shouldn't be spending that money yet. That's a lot of money, take your time. There are a million options, don't jump the gun.

• Members
Mikes?

Sennheiser
e604's
e602's
Shure
Sm57's

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far,Lots of great idea's and resources.:thu:
I will slowly upgrade my setup after the studio rooms are complete and take my time.Looks like I have a lot of reading to do .

On anoher note.
Does anyone have any experience with Clearsonic Isolation rooms/panels ?
They seem like they might be hard to beat for the price if they work well.

CLEAPRNT1-2.jpg

• Members

I plan on getting some good cables, I also scored a nice big UPS system , The one they power Lowe's home improvement stores with.
Its 100 amp and will monitor and maintain Clean power plus 3 hour battery backup at full load.(Lowes uses this for their computers)
I got it for free, My job does have it's perks.
I was having a problem at the house with dirty power when using my PC. Lots of dirty noises.

• Members

Good Advice, I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

I would get a nice computer, a Nice recording interface (Used), and some decent monitors....

Then if you want to spend money, look for stuff that has a shot of holding its value; killer vintage stuff like pultec neve etc. Then take the rest of your dough, 70k or so and invest it, and use the interest to keep buying more gear while you protect tthe principal.

Chino

• Members
I would get a nice computer, a Nice recording interface (Used), and some decent monitors....

Then if you want to spend money, look for stuff that has a shot of holding its value; killer vintage stuff like pultec neve etc. Then take the rest of your dough, 70k or so and invest it, and use the interest to keep buying more gear while you protect tthe principal.

Chino

Great advice. This should be tattooed on yer forehead, EdgeofDarkness! :D

• Members

Does anyone have any experience with Clearsonic Isolation rooms/panels ?

I would say a lot of that will depend on the drum sound you're trying to achieve... if you're looking for a very close mic'd, not ambient kind of sound while I'm sure you'll get some comb filter anomolies from the cymbals you'll probably be able to get something somewhat useable... if you're looking for a real drum sound, which is what I would be going for if I had a warehouse [and I do... my tracking room is 45'x 43' w/ 16' ceilings]. You can always make things sound smaller and boxier... that isn't hard... that "isolation room" should probably get you most of the way to smaller and probably boxier [no, I have never actually heard one.

When we're going for the "small room/funk sound" we have 8's 4' flats that are 4" deep that have fiberglass insulation inside, a cloth cover on one side and masonite on the other where we can make "rooms" within our big room without a struggle... only takes a few minutes... total cost for like 6 of them [as well as some 4'x 4' gobo flats] was about $200- and about a days worth of playing "Billy the carpenter".

• Members

For what my opinion is worth, I'm with the guys who say upgrade your stuff with about $20k - $30k of the money, and invest the rest. Mutual funds. :)

At 10% return, you'd get that starter studio for free, plus some, after five years.

• Members

Something you made yourself ?

...hence the phrase "and about a days worth of playing "Billy the carpenter"" [i didn't actually make them... whatever kid was my assistant at the time made them... I passed the point of "Billy the carpenter" type stuff in like 1984-85].

• Members

Those flats (acoustic treatment panels, for those not following along) are really useful. My flats burned in a house fire some months ago, and I haven't gotten around to making/buying more yet...borrow yer assistant some time? :D But anyway, recording without 'em is a LOT tougher.

• Members

I just listened to the song. I think you would benefit a lot from a few high-end pres alone. You could also use some good mics to help pick up those low freqs. but damn 100k is a lot of money. Even if you spend 10k, you would probably hear a very noticable difference. Take it slow. It's very time consuming to learn 1 new device. Now imagine learning a whole new chain of pieces you've never heard. You'd have a tough time discerning which piece is affecting what.

• Members

guys, if he's gonna spend $100k, he's gonna spend $100k... When I opened my studio, so many people told me not to... It was a stupid thing for me to plunk $100k plus on gear, but I did and I make a good living... I work with artists mostly on small labels, but 2 of my artists are talking to reprise and jive. So I don't think $100k is too far out of the question for really solid work... Personally this is what I did... Maybe you could do something like this...

I am just renting my facility and I am saving up money now to put a down payment on my own property and facility... But right now I have a nice place and I only pay $750 per month for 2200 square feet. When i first started... I setup my bedroom in the loft above the control room... And sometimes I stayed with my girlfriend..> This helped me to save alot of dough... And of course after my gear expenditures i started being quite a bit more frugal...

Ill make another post on what I decided to do as far as gear goes... You can get some ideas for yourself

Archived