Advice on hanging a heavy area rug....

• Members

Can anyone offer any advice on how I would go about hanging a semi-heavy area rug (or anything really) from the ceiling over the drum kit?

I need to take those nasty reflections from there...and this is my only option.

Any help appreciated...

Thanks!

-LIMiT

• Members

:thu: I love this place...

a little more information now that I have time.

I have my O/H's approx 4' from the kit.

After monitoring back playback of a quick level check , we could hear a really weird 'shimmer' in the cymbals.

I positioned a lighter blanket over the kit, skillfully using some duct tape (thank you toddlands) and some mic stands, and it did take it away.

There is a really nice image stereo image of the kit with the placement..everything sounds great except that weird 'shimmery simmer'.

**...looking back at my post I'm wondering if I didn't just answer my own question (makeshift mic stand/rug baffle)...**

The picture is from a previous session. The mics are higher up than this.

-LIMiT

• Moderators

What you need is 703 board covered in burlap and just glued to the ceiling if cosmetics aren't a concern.

Another idea would be to put a grid ceiling with the 2 x 4 ceiling tiles just above the drum kit. Cheap. You can lay fiberglass batts above too for better, more even absorbtion. Use a black grid and tiles ti keep it from looking officey. Or use the grid but fill it with the 703 instead of the Armstrong type tiles.

Here my wish for a product...

Something extremely light yet rigid that comes in 2 x 4 panels that can lock together to create all size configuations. It's light because it's more like a heater filter with an accordian type stucture inside. It's rigid for the same reason the filter I mentioned above is rigid. It's absorbs flatly down to 125Hz and is very cheap.

I want some of that!

Probably the physics are impossible?

Or you could use the eye hooks as Phil suggested, finding the joists as he suggested too, hang your rug and be done with it.

• Members

if you go to home depot or Lowes and find the little black clamp dealies that are used to hold down tarps and drop cloths in the paint section, those will work fine. They'll clamp on the edges of the carpet and have a eyelet to use some picture wire or some drywall screws to hold it up. If you let it swag down a little it might give you a little more trapping behind it. should work, although packing blankets work better..

Packing blankets are very useful. :thu:

I agree that 2" - 4" (4" thick being "better") of Owens Corning type 703 (or better yet, type 705, which has more mass / cubic foot) would be the best solution if you can afford it. Cover it with burlap and offset it from the ceiling a few inches - you can use 2X2's as "spacers" to get a little air space behind them / between them and the ceiling. That will increase their absorption - especially at lower frequencies.

Archived