Acoustic guitar and Male Vocals mic

• Members

Set up: 8X12 odd shaped (not square) room (stateroom on large yacht) carpet, padded overhead, teak paneling, two beds. Edirol UA-25, Laptop with either Guitar tracks or Sonar LE, acoustic guitar, baritone male voice.

I have a Shure SM-48 I picked up somewhere. I have about $200 to spend and don't mind Ebay. I'm considering Rode NT2 NT3 (hypercardioid) or whatever.

I'm just getting started and will probably record a base line on track one, the lead track on two, voice on three..... that sort of thing.

Help in the mic department would be appreciated.

OK, edit, edit etc. Maybe wrong forum I dropped down to the other one and there's reading in there for month on this stuff. Comment if you like please, but it looks like I need to think about Shure SM-7, Senn MD421, AT 2020/2021/ Cad M179, stuff like that.

Thanks in advance for the replys.

• Members

This thread might help.

Thanks Ken, I had found that one. I'm thinking the AT 4041 and let the SM-48 do for vocals for now.

For all the fancy advertising and promotion by Sweetwater, I wonder where all the Rode NT2 mics went. Trading back and forth on Ebay? Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest amongst pros like yourself.

• Members

I don't know why that is because the newly improved NT2 seemed like a winner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, I own the original Rode NT2 from 13 years ago or whenever it came out. I use it, although less and less.

It's difficult to recommend even as a used mic even though you can get a decent sound out of it because 1.) it's extremely moisture-sensitive, to the point of where if someone mistakenly breathes on the mic, it'll be rendered useless for as long as 10 minutes, and 2.) the grill is beyond flimsy. Now bear in mind that I am talking about the original NT2 and not the later models.

Still, though, when it came out, it was a godsend to me because it was one of the few LDCs I could afford, and for that alone, I will always think fondly of the mic.

• Members

I just don't make that much judgement about that stuff. I don't know whether the guy owns the yacht, whether he's not that rich and blew most of his money on this fantastic labor of love, or whatever.

I just take it at face value that, for whatever reason, he only wants to spend $200 (or whatever) on a mic and leave it at that.

I can respect having a ceiling for getting gear.

Not everyone's priority (certainly not mine) is ultimate audio in terms of blowing your finances (mine is the best audio I can possibly get within specific parameters, and quite frankly, for a public education teacher, I have far better equipment than I should have, and get a sound that rivals nice commercially run studios, so I can't complain!!!!! ).

If it were a far greater priority, I'd probably have a C12 and a build a giant acoustically-treated room in the back yard. I just can't warrant the expenses, and I figure, everyone has their "ceiling". I can respect that.

• Members

Is it just me? or did anyone else find it odd that the poster could afford a "large yacht" with a stateroom, teak paneling, etc. but could only affort to spend $200 on a microphone??

Haha. It's my house Picker. My wife and I retired, sold everything and we want to hit the seas for some serious cruising. I could afford a U47 probably but why? I ain't that good a singer and I got other priorities. Anyway, on the subject. Anybody using that AT 2041 bundle for guitar and vocals? Oh, and I got 267.53 left in my hidy hole, so I'll go there. I'll bet I wouldn't go far wrong with a new SM-58 and a SM-57 for now, but I like what I'm hearing as far as options here.

And if you think that's weird wait till my 300th post!!

• Members

Lol... I meant no offense... (just jealous of the Yacht) --

Several of the mics you listed would be good. The MD421 is a very good all-around mic (great on guitar cabs, drums etc.) and actually, it's even my sister's favorite vocal mic for her voice. My 'workhorse'/all around mice is my AKG 414BULS, but they are more in the $500-800 range.... I hear very good things about the Rode mics too.

Do you have a good music store you can go to and audition a few different ones? That might be your best bet for finding what works for you.

Good luck in your search, and congrats on the Retirement and the Yacht. I really love the water and am definately jealuos :D:thu:

• Members

Putting a budget on everything is part of how somebody ends up being able to afford a yacht. :)

I'd say go visit a couple of stores, try some mics out. Bring your guitar, use headphones. For me it was easy enough to find a guitar mic I liked, because the with the right mic I lost track of my mic testing and started fooling around with a song I'd been learning - standing there with the headphones on, losing track of time.

That mic was the CAD M-179, something like $200. Not bad on vocals either.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived