Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Members

How is the guitar center... are they generally cheap, or expensive, is it worth stopping in? I just found out there's one near me and I was gonna take a trip out there this saturday, so I wanted to see if it was worth it. How much variety do they usually have with guitars?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

I don't buy from them, but it is a good place to go try out stuff. I do not like when the sales guys practically urinate a circle around me marking their territory. The commisioned sales guys get territorial. I heard two of them discussing who met the customer first the other day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

I Work at a GC in St. Louis. You should always check them out. Yes we do work on commition but, Most cats have a if your cool im cool attatude. Don't fear the sales guy, hes just doing his job. But the turn over rate at most GC's are very high, more than fast food joints. Cause most people dont know as much as they think or know as much as they say they do, then talk bussiness in front customers. These guys are just dumbasses. So try not to judge the whole store on one or two kids. Look for the older cats. It cool to tell them your just having a look and if you need help you'll find him try to remember his name their are alot of them sometimes. If another guys asks to help you, say you've been helped already. Then you are fee and clear to wank on gear as you please. Just dont play Enter Sandman or Crazy Train at 10 on the Boogie triple rectifier. most have sound booths for that. Its a cool place to learn and dream about tons of gear. And yes, the discount rocks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

I generally like GC, most of the sales guys are easy going and helpful. The stores are generally pretty well layed out and most of the time the stuff is cheaper than their online site musicians friend.

 

I will say this though, one of the managers at my local GC is a bit of wipe, he tried selling me an earnie ball bass as new but lucky for me everytime he tried to put the serial numbner in it didn't come up on his screen so he said it was used and lowered the price accordingly. This was the same guy that said the PRS gig bag 50.00 was required as part of the purchase when I bought my Santan SE for 350.00 a couple months back. I mean I have dropped thousands over the past couple years there on guitars recording gear etc. Maybe better CRM software could assist them in better serving good customers because in the end it's all about building relationships.

 

All in all though as far as discount retail goes in the NY metro area GC is a veritable oasis amist a scorched desert.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by strangedogs

they will also match any price you find on the web - they look it up on their computer and match it!!

 

not always.

 

I cant think of a few cases during my tenure at GC where I could not price match. Usually because a certail shop was blowing things out at below cost.

 

From a customers point of view, the good thing about GC is that any employee on the floor who is coded to sales can pretty much discount almost anything to cost.

 

The whole "let me ask my manager" bit is just a tactic

So no, contrary to popular belief, you dont need to talk

to the manager to get good prices.

 

A brand new employee working behind the strings counter could sell you a Custom shop Les Paul at cost if so inclined.

 

Im sure GC doesent apreciate me saying this stuff,,,, but oh well

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

I bought a B52 AT100 from GC 3 days ago. As far as deals go, It depends on who you talk to.

I tried to buy that amp 2 weeks ago. Talked to sales guy#1 and asked if he could do any better that the sticker (700.00). He says "sure, I can let it go for 730.00." I responded with "better would mean below 700." He asks "well....how much do you want it for?" I say "as close to 600.00 as possible." He says "thanks for stopping by." and walks away. I get pissed and try to hold back from breaking the skinny douche bag's neck, cursing GC all the way back to my truck.

Two weeks later its Sunday and I break a string. I got no spares and GC is the only thing open. So I go in, and there's no sign of sales guy#1. I get to the register to pay for my strings and ask Guy#2 about that amp. He gives me the rundown on it and asks me if I want to but it. I tell him about the above incident. He says "I'll let it go for 650.00 and knock off a few bucks on a Bad Monkey."

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by luke978

I bought a B52 AT100 from GC 3 days ago. As far as deals go, It depends on who you talk to.

I tried to buy that amp 2 weeks ago. Talked to sales guy#1 and asked if he could do any better that the sticker (700.00). He says "sure, I can let it go for 730.00." I responded with "better would mean below 700." He asks "well....how much do you want it for?" I say "as close to 600.00 as possible." He says "thanks for stopping by." and walks away. I get pissed and try to hold back from breaking the skinny douche bag's neck, cursing GC all the way back to my truck.

Two weeks later its Sunday and I break a string. I got no spares and GC is the only thing open. So I go in, and there's no sign of sales guy#1. I get to the register to pay for my strings and ask Guy#2 about that amp. He gives me the rundown on it and asks me if I want to but it. I tell him about the above incident. He says "I'll let it go for 650.00 and knock off a few bucks on a Bad Monkey."

 

Why didn't you talk to the manager, that would be unacceptable to me... but I'm glad you got the deal you wanted.

 

Thanks for the input guys, it sounds like at the worst, it's still worth going there just to try some stuff out. So do they own musicians friend?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by The Don

I Work at a GC in St. Louis. You should always check them out. Yes we do work on commition but, Most cats have a if your cool im cool attatude. Don't fear the sales guy, hes just doing his job. But the turn over rate at most GC's are very high, more than fast food joints. Cause most people dont know as much as they think or know as much as they say they do, then talk bussiness in front customers. These guys are just dumbasses. So try not to judge the whole store on one or two kids. Look for the older cats. It cool to tell them your just having a look and if you need help you'll find him try to remember his name their are alot of them sometimes. If another guys asks to help you, say you've been helped already. Then you are fee and clear to wank on gear as you please. Just dont play Enter Sandman or Crazy Train at 10 on the Boogie triple rectifier. most have sound booths for that. Its a cool place to learn and dream about tons of gear. And yes, the discount rocks!

 

Damn good info and it's true.

 

Not all the guys who work at GC know enough about guitars or even just the products they have on hand. Speaking with them can leave you with a negative impression. They probably won't be there long. I have a good relationship with most GC sales people and if I find a new guy who knows what he's talking about, I try to remain cordial if not downright friendly with him. And in case you're not sure, they are sales men and sales men are supposed to sell. You will run into jerks but chalk that up to experience and sniff out the good guys!:thu:

 

Also, where would I hang out after work if there were no GC'c. One thing that's absolutely true is that you get the chance to try a wider variety of gear before committing your hard earned shekels there!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by cfgsteak

I suggest doing a search for a variety of entertaining opinions.


Personally, I have no beef with GC. They have a good selection at the one I shop at and the people who work there are generally cool.

 

That's also been my experience. The GC here has the best selection, competitive prices, and good staff. Even the younger kids on staff don't put on the know-it-all thing. They're very cool.

 

I've had more "attitude" problems at the local mom & pop's than I've had at GC. And, the M&P's don't have the selection or the prices.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Our GC equivalent would be Long and McQuade, and they've gto some alrigth dudes. They're almost never flexible on price unless the value really gets up there but they're always up front about it and honest, if you go over to the amp section and start browsing, someone will come talk to you, and when they don't know, they go ask the "amp guy" who really DOES know. Pretty decent overall, except, as I said, they don't bend on price often.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by ProToneThinline


I've had more "attitude" problems at the local mom & pop's than I've had at GC. And, the M&P's don't have the selection or the prices.

 

Huh? You need to go down to Guitar Gallery in Canonsburg (McMurray?). They have THE BEST selection of Les Pauls within about 200 miles of PGH, and some great Guild acoustics; those guys (Vic, in particular) really, really know their stuff. And there's another local shop just down the street from GC next to Barnes & Noble (I forget the name since I moved away) that has a very good Marshall/Fender/Martin/Gibson selection, with a used room that blows GC away. I've NEVER had any issues with the service at either place. No real problem at the PGH GC for service, but I haven't seen much there that I'd care to buy.

 

GC is fine for low-end and midrange gear, but they really don't carry much true pro-level equipment. Plus, they can't won't do a real setup on a guitar - most serious guitar shops will ask you how you like your instrument to play, what type of strings you use, etc., and do a custom set-up before it leaves the store. GC's focus is to move as many $3-500 guitars to beginning kids as possible. This is fine, but it certainly isn't aimed at someone like me.

 

Personally, I don't mind paying a bit more for strings, cables and picks to keep the serious 'boutique' shops in business. I'f I'm going to drop $2-5K on a new amp or guitar, I want to deal with someone who really knows what they are doing, and will treat me like his best customer; I haven't seen that at GC.

 

That said, I've made money on their stock - it's a cool business model. They're just aimed at a different group of customers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

I think that may just be your GC. Mine (Fairfax, VA) has quite a selection of higher level gear. They always have a ton of Gibson's (SGs and LPs ranging from studios to the higher end models) and Gretch's out. Plus in the loud room they have CS Strats and Mesa amps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

most expensive thing ive ever bought was my roland microcube.

 

went in to test one played for 15 minutes (realize i'm 41 and look EVERYBIT the banker that i am) and the guy walked over asked if i wanted to ring it up?

 

i asked what the best he could do was, he replied $99 i said wrap it up.

 

he went back to the back got one in a box and out the door i was.

 

my ONLY real complaint about the store we have here is that its TOO DAMN SMALL.

 

the samash's that we have are the size of K-marts. GC is 1/2 the size of a 7-11

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

It seems like alot of the sales guys are hit and miss at GC. I'll go in and talk to one person about a guitar, he could care less. I'll talk to someone else, and they're jumping through hoops to make sure I'm happy with what I'm buying.

 

Do your research online before going in for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

I live in Northern L.A. County, San Fernando Valley to be exact and there are four GC's near me, within 10 miles of eachother. Personally, I like GC because they do have some great sales on gear and they have a 30 day return policy. I also like the fact that they offer an extended warranty of gear ( don't push it) and it does not cost too much. I ususally check out the manufacture warranty before I accept the ext. warranty offered by GC.

 

I've bought and return many a gear from GC in my days and they have no problem with taking it back with full refund. Another thing I love about GC is you get to play the gear which is great, try before you buy. If you don't like it when you get home, you have 30 days to return.

 

I hate Sam Ash because many times when you return something the don't give you the full refund.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by tonykonkol

whats the employee dis count at GC? At cost I would assume, right? Since as stated before, the guy behind the counter could sell you a CS LP at cost..if so inclined to.

 

Me and my bandmates have a friend that works at GC. We get INSANE deals. Most stuff we get at cost. For example, they were selling these 5 guitar stands for $60 (on sale from $70) and we got them for $30.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack



Huh? You need to go down to Guitar Gallery in Canonsburg (McMurray?). They have THE BEST selection of Les Pauls within about 200 miles of PGH, and some great Guild acoustics; those guys (Vic, in particular) really, really know their stuff. And there's another local shop just down the street from GC next to Barnes & Noble (I forget the name since I moved away) that has a very good Marshall/Fender/Martin/Gibson selection, with a used room that blows GC away. I've NEVER had any issues with the service at either place. No real problem at the PGH GC for service, but I haven't seen much there that I'd care to buy.

 

I've been one of Vic's customers since he opened up his doors in his first TINY location. Those guys are GREAT - they're not the ones with the attitude problem. However, GG is certainly not the place to shop if you're looking for something other than a high end LP or PRS, or a Marshall amp.

 

The other shop you mentioned WAS one of the places with the attitude problem, as were a few others that shall remain nameless...

 

You also said "there's another local shop just down the street from GC next to Barnes & Noble (I forget the name since I moved away) that has a very good Marshall/Fender/Martin/Gibson selection, with a used room that blows GC away".

 

Been there lately? It's NOTHING like it used to be. The GC has twice as much used gear, at better prices.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...