• Members

The SSL's X-Logic super Analogue series is probably the way to go over the Alpha channel gear. It's more realistically designed like a component of a 9000series console over the Alpha channel series. The Manley/Langevin gear probably beats the Alpha channel series, but it is a different flavor over SSL.

The Harmonic drive circuit is probably comparable to Aphex or BBE circuitry. Might be better than those, but all aural exciters by design generate a distortion to the signal no matter how musically pleasing it is. The point I guess is that it might be great, or it might be {censored}e.

• Members

I would imagine that their MUCH more expensive {censored} would be better.. or at least it better be for more than double the price... Not that the price really freaks me out, but they don't seem to be TOO different (keep in mind I can't find a single damn place that I can actually try one of these things out...)

It seems like the Langevin will be the way to go... Either that or a pair of portico pre/eqs... but there is kind of a $1600 difference there since you have to buy two porticos to get two channels.. so...

I guess no one knows of any place around orlando (within an hour) that actually houses reasonable equipment? I get effing nauseous anytime i go, ohh... idk, pretty much anywhere and find that their best piece of equipment is a Presonus BlueTube, or their best mic is a Beta87.

Me - "Yeah, beta87 is great, but I need something that is more suited for the studio, and not live application, y'know what I mean? I've used beta87s live for years and loved them, but I'm lookin for something else, what else do you guys have?"

Music shop guy says.. "Well that's why this mic is perfect, it's even better for studio work than live work!!!!!!! You should definitely buy one!! I'll even make you a deal; $280!!! what a smokin bargain!"

See? Thats what I have to put up with every time I look at anything. I wasn't born yesterday and i'm sick of being treated like I was.

this post came off as bitter and upsetting... i'm sorry.....

• Members

i don't understand the SSL standalone mic pres. SSL mic pres are kaka. in fact...the entire desks sound kinda like kaka for the most part (certain model EQ's in 4000 series desks are cool). the reason they're popular in commercial facilities because they're extremely well recognized by bands, labels and A&R, and that they can do every single thing under the sun. not because they sound any good.

spending money on SSL mic pres is like shooting money into the toilet. you can get so much more hollar for your dollar ANYWHERE else in the pricerange.

• Members

When I interned at A&M, Shelley Yakus used to call the SSL "the world's most expensive monitor board". He demanded we trot out a Neve sidecar loaded to his specs and that's what he used to track to the Studer.

I've used SSL's many, many times. They are a different flavor over Neve, Harrison or API. Certain genre's just sound "right" on an SSL. Artists like Sting and Peter Gabriel used SSL's on their records and I like the sound of those records, so I can't say the SSL is {censored}e.

• Members

Track on a Neve, mix on an SSL.

Any - as far as preamps adding harmonics, it's definately a useful feature. My Rupert Neve Portico 5012 has a silk switch, which basically adds harmonics like vintage Neves, and it sounds fantastic on some things (bass, guitars) but for other things (vocals, cymbals) it's better turned off for a more clean/transparent sound.

I would hope that more preamps have adjustable harmonics - and if you had control over odd and even, that would be even better.

Archived