Iommi finger protectors

Alexei

• Members

Well, I happen to have a certain problem in my fingers. They are almost always with scars, they are worse in bad nerves times, but hardly they are perfect. I even can't wash them often because they get worse (hey, I keep them clean anyway, wash my hands every time I download wood on the closet and similar things).

Bleeding fingers on a solo is "romantic", powerful and mighty, yes, but it hurts quite much...

What I mean is that I need some kind of finger protector like the ones Tony Iommi has in his hand. I wonder if they can be sold or how could I make them (what are they made of). Or even, what could I use. Any info?

Should I chop 'em fingers off? :p:D

• Members

Originally posted by peavey_impact

WTF?!? Maybe you shouldn't be playing guitar dude....

and what the hell does "wash my hands every time I download wood on the closet and similar things" mean?

oh i dunno maybe the guys first language isnt english.

• Members

Iommi used rubber for his 'fingetips' - they weren't really to protect his fingers though, more to replace the fingertips he chopped off in an accident at work.

He had them specially made in the late 60's though, so I've no idea where you'd get similar items....

• Members

Originally posted by Dougy

Iommi used rubber for his 'fingetips' - they weren't really to protect his fingers though, more to replace the fingertips he chopped off in an accident at work.

He had them specially made in the late 60's though, so I've no idea where you'd get similar items....

+1 I heard he made them from washing up bottle material, but it was probably different back then.

I saw one of the ones he used in the 80's on Hard N Heavy, it looked like a fake ginger glove sort of thing.

• Members
Originally posted by peavey_impact

and what the hell does "wash my hands every time I download wood on the closet and similar things" mean?

I'm thinkin' "take a crap",in some places the washroom is called a water closet.I've never heard it referred to as downloading wood though.:D

• Members

First of all yes, my main language is not english but I know some ways to use synonyms for "pooing"; I tried to avoid the typical phrase. Also, "sending wood to the lumberjack" can be applied ;):D

Second, I know his fingers are chopped (and not I am not in a jokin' mood, be it or not offensive) and he has to use some "substitutes". I am looking for some way of using some of it in mines. I should construct them, so I'd like to know what kind of material I could use: rubber, silk, wood, tytanium (sp.?), uranium, whatever. :D

I thought I should not play guitar but it's a so damn relaxing hobby I can't think of any other thing. I luv it too. And my hands are better when I am having a good time with it. If I should stop doing things because of my fingers I wouldn't even work. I just struggle and I get on with it always. So it's an issue I deal with. Only, I'd like to have it less painful sometimes.

• Members

Originally posted by Alexei

First of all yes, my main language is not english but I know some ways to use synonyms for "pooing"; I tried to avoid the typical phrase. Also, "sending wood to the lumberjack" can be applied
;):D

Have you been reading the Viz Profanisaurus?

• Members

what gauge strings are you using? I think Iommi had 8's on his guitar. maybe you could try different brands that use different materials that are softer/silkier. The only think I can think of, which may not even work are those little finger condoms the people who develop photgraphs use to prevent finderprints on the pictures. no idea where to get them or how effective they'd be.

• Members

The only thing I can think of would be to apply crazy glue to your finger tips, then let it dry for about a minute. It should form a hard shell that will keep your fingers happy and bloodless, plus it flakes off in a few days or can be removed quickly with nail polish remover or a similar chemical.

• Members

Originally posted by AunShui

The only thing I can think of would be to apply crazy glue to your finger tips, then let it dry for about a minute. It should form a hard shell that will keep your fingers happy and bloodless, plus it flakes off in a few days or can be removed quickly with nail polish remover or a similar chemical.

This is a good way to shorten your life expectancy.

Seriously, go and ask a doctor what he recommends.

• 13 years later...

Archived