Joe Meek MC2-Any thoughts?

Hey Paul... that looks like a cool compressor. I really wanted to do that EQ review, but I guess I didn't stay on top of things enough to get to it first and call "dibs". :o:D But anyway, I have not really heard that model yet, so that this with that caveat in mind. I like the other Meek compressors that I have used, but I don't know if I'd refer to them as great utility players; unless your idea of utility would be a bit of "attitude" all the time. Not that I dislike attitude - it can be great... but when I think of utility on a budget, it's hard to beat the FMR RNC, because it's a bit more versatile IMO - at least compared to my (older) Meeks. But I'm really looking forward to hearing the MC2.

What type of music are you doing / what sources do you plan on using it on?

• Members

In concurance with what phil said, I've noticed that the meek's have a lot of "attitude"... aka, they seem to be either on or off depending on application... vocals seem to accentuate the meek compressors well, but my experience is that they choke the hell out of guitars...

then again, I've not been doing this too terribly long... take it for what it's worth and listen to someone else before you listen to me...

• Members

What type of music are you doing / what sources do you plan on using it on?

Hi Phil, thanks for the getback. I use a couple of submixers from time to time, and a portable stereo unit like this might be just the ticket to 'tame' things like drum tracking or other stereo groups, also mabee across the subs on my main board. At that price, I might just buy to test. How badly could it color things :D. I don't know if you caught it in the review (my friend took off with the magazine :mad:), but is the MC2 permanently linked, or can it be unlinked for use as 2 independants. Really wouldn't matter for my apps unless sidechaining came up. One thing's for sure. It won't be used on the main board's 2-bus ;):) . Now if I can only find a dealer that is handling them in the USA. No luck with Google.

Thanks again, Paul

• Members

I've got a Meek C2. I had the C2 and a SC2 in at the same time, and the C2 got so much of that "sound" that my budget decided I liked it better.

I would guess the MC2 is pretty similar, but with some extra bells.

I keep the C2 around mostly for hyping guitars up, it does have a certain "good box" thing going for it. Little fatter, little grain, little jangle.

But not utility, I would say. I'm with Phil on the RNC for that.

C2s can be found used for about $150. I don't know what the MC2 will be.

Archived