Mic stand threads.

• Members

i bought a tap/die set 5/8 27. when i looked, there was only 2 places in the united states to buy from, and one was out of stock. this was 18 months ago.

i wish i could remember where i bought them from, it had a J in the name i think.

they were not inexpensive. they will not work with normal hardware store die/tap stocks.

i dont know the OP's experience with tap/dies but these are not the thread to start with. they "get away from you" easily. i have had a lot of success with them making doodads and rethreading stripped aluminum tall poles.

i cant remember the exact size of stock you will need to make doodads from scratch but its weird - like 19/32 or something.

i just checked my credit card and the list doesnt go back far enough to see where i bought this from. sorry.

• Members

i believe thats one reason right there.

the other is that the extreme fine threads have a rediculous amount of strength. more surface area = really strong.

when i was looking into this stuff i found there are at least two other thread sizes you can buy at the local hardware store that are 5/8. they tend to be sloppy and loose fitting compared to 5/8 27.

and if you look at plumbing pipe threads, some of those are extremely fine and extremely strong.

oh, and there arent any compatible pipe threads with 5/8 27 although there are at least one that is close. pipe thread = bizarro world.

• Members

Tapco USA Inc.

5605 Pike Road Loves Park

Rockford, Illinois 61111

815-877-4039

http://tapcousa.com

Just picked up some taps/dies this year. Get the part numbers from the site, then ask for Jackie by phone. Nice lady, very helpful. She gave me a significantly lower price because they were in stock. Otherwise special order is price prohibative.

If you follow this post link (at another site), the Tapco info and part numbers are mentioned:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1686115/page/12#Post1686115

Paul

• Members

i cant remember the exact size of stock you will need to make doodads from scratch but its weird - like 19/32 or something...

Believe it or not, the top tube of a standard mic stand can be replaced with 1/2" copper tubing. I made up some quick-disconnect adapters just recently.

Paul

Archived