MD421 Alternatives

• Members

I borrowed a pair of these from a friend for a band I'm recording. Is there anything else out there that will get me in the ballpark?

These things produce just the tom sound I strive for with 57s and 58s. They produce THE tom sound.

Would my best bet just to be very patient and nab them off Ebay for cheap?

I like the sound of 421's on toms, but their size can make placement a pain sometimes, and frankly, I have been using other things instead and have been very happy with the results. My usual tom mikes these days are Audix D2's on rack toms and the Audio Technica ATM250 on the floor tom. I feel they give me good clarity and beef and are generally a lot easier to place than the big 421's.

As for prices, I imagine Ebay would be a good place to check if you want to go used on 421's, but be careful that you're getting good ones. One thing to watch out for is broken / cracked stand mounts - they tend to snap fairly easily.

• Members

heil mics! i like 'em!

pr20 is cool for snare drums, guitar amps, and singers who absolutely can't perform in the studio unless they're holding a mic.

pr30 is a dynamic mic of a different horse of a different color of a different shirt. very "ribbon-like" response, even though i hate saying that. perfect guitar amp microphone, super on snare and toms as well. probably my direct replacement for md421s.

pr40 = my direct replacement for the electro-voice RE20. extended low end kaka, very smooth all over the place. sick on kick drums, spitty male rock vocals, bass cabs, etc.

Archived