Sibilance

• Members

Actually, those Nady ribbons (especially with some easy mods) are nice and warm with a clear, but not sibilent high end.

The apex version (which is the same mic) can be had for $90. Its good before the mods too. Not as good as Coles, but also 1/10th the price, and pretty cool on some singers. I used one a couple nights ago and it was perfect for the singer I was working with. Got just the right sound with no eq.

Hey Funk.....those Nady's you're talking about. Which model in particular are you talking about?? And, how are they modded? Thanks!

• Members

Thanks again to all for your suggestions and input. I'd been considering the SM7; it seems like that would be a good addition to my collection considering my limited budget.

Cheers!

As I mentioned in another thread here, we've used the SM7 before in another studio, and thought it was extremely smooth and warm sounding, a good mic for some vocals. Apparently, Anthony Kiedis uses one regularly for his vocals.

• Members

A simple trick that will teach someone to not stress the "esss" is to sing that sound as "th". It'll take thome practith but in a pretty short time you will hear thome thuctheth.

It's part of learning their craft and if they don't want to get better, charge the hell out of them to "fix" it.

• Members

While not the fastest way whatsoever, in situations where the sibilance is there after the recording, and mics/performance technique are no longer solutions, my favorite precision way to de-ess (without inadvertently squashing other parts of the track via an automated plug-in) is to use a multiband EQ (in Sonar I use the Sonitus plug that comes with it). I find the most offending frequency range by boosting that band's DB a lot during playback at various sibilant-friendly freqs (both solo'd and not, and turn your phones/monitors down a bit!) and find a decent Q as well. Then I assign a track envelope to the gain of that band and manually draw in dips around the offending phrases/words/syllables. Can be painstaking, but avoids over-generalized de-essing side effects.

Anyway, FWIW.

Thx,

Larry

• Members

.. my favorite precision way to de-ess (without inadvertently squashing other parts of the track via an automated plug-in) is to use a multiband EQ..

Larry,

I'm currently remixing an old session with some nasty sibilance, and am using the same procedure with Logic EQ. The only difference is that I use 'bypass' to engage the EQ when needed. Finding the right frequency range and narrowing it down without drastically altering the overall sound is rather time consumming, but afterwords it's a piece of cake.

PAUL

• Members

Here's something fun and inexpensive -- even cheaper than the pencil trick unless you consider the cost of your internet connection. The pretty cool DigitalFishPhones VST plugins include a de-esser called SpitFish. I've had good luck with it. One cool feature is that you can "reverse" it so that you hear only what is being cut. It does a good job of cutting the sibilance.

• Members

Larry,

I'm currently remixing an
old
session with some nasty sibilance, and am using the same procedure with Logic EQ. The only difference is that I use 'bypass' to engage the EQ when needed. Finding the right frequency range and narrowing it down without drastically altering the overall sound is rather time consumming, but afterwords it's a piece of cake.

PAUL

Hey Paul- that is interesting. So in Logic, when you hit "bypass" on the EQ, I'm assuming you record that as automation? And since you are sort of doing precise "punches" on and off with the EQ, you don't get any real noticeable frequency changes or clicks, etc? I'll have to give that a try...

• Members

...I'm assuming you record that as automation?...

Right. Opening up the 'view automation' and enlarging the target track lets you get really precise punches. If you use Logic, holding the 'control' key allows you to really zero in on a punchpoint location with the mouse. Kind of like time-alligning samples.

Best, Paul

• Members

I read this somewhere, and I've never had occassion to try it. But it seems like it might work depending on the singer....... Give them a small amount of wax to put in between there upper front teeth !!!!!!
:lol:
:lol:

Crazy eh?
:eek:

I wish I knew about this before. :thu:

Archived