Amek TAC Scorpion...do we like it?

Sure, many times. :)

How much do they want and which one is it? Just curious - I have no idea what they go for these days.

They were all the rage in some circles for a while, but I honestly thought they were pretty noisy. I always liked the competitive model Soundcraft boards better. I thought they had better EQ and were quieter. But again, take that FWIW - a lot of people did seem to like TAC Scorpions, so maybe I am just out to lunch.

• Members

They're asking $2000.00, but I found out that some of the LED meters are always on...a common thing with Scorpions, I guess. It may be a minor issue, but it's a dealbraker for me. Thanks for the info, though. I'm also looking at a Ghost, but it's a bit more dough.

• Members

I like the TAC's, but keep in mind that whatever you save today is going to be eaten up in maintenance tomorrow. If you like the Ghost, save up the extra and get the Ghost.

Then you can mod the preamps and the master section (Creation Audio's mods are fantastic) and you'll have a helluva board...

Hey 09 ... BTW it is not the same -commercially- to say "I have a SoundCraft" than saying "I have an AMEK". Just like when a customer asks "do you have Pro Tools" -even when they do not have the less pale idea about what does that mean- and if you say "no" they just walk away.

Sad, but true. I'd go for the AMEK.

I know, it is not a SSL but...

• Members

I mixed a song that was recorded through a TAC Scorpion. I thought it sounded pretty damn good track by track. The guy who engineered though had been an engineer for a TV network so he possessed a certain skill level to allow him to get the most out of his board.

Archived