Bought a LP Jr Lite off E-bay

JcKerr

• Members

Thanks alot. I was really wanting the whole p-90 vibe, but I'll definately give the p-100's a try. I thought it was too good a deal to pass up. I should get it early next week. i'll post some better pics and a full review.

• Members

I had an LP Special w/P100s that I just couldn't warm up to tone wise. Loved everything else about it. I didn't want to mess up the guitar with a pup swap, so I bought an SG Classic instead. Very happy with it, in my lap right now as I type :D

Vintage Vibes or Lollars is what I'd put in her. And yes, you got a great deal on a super guitar!

• Members

yea, i really wanted a sg classic too, but i just got into the market about 2 weeks ago and i think they are like 850 now and i remember when they were 750 so i couldn't pull the trigger, and this walked by...

• Members

Originally posted by MoreGuitars

I'd play it for a bit before I changed the pick ups. I think you will come to like them.

That is really good advice.

Too many people change the pick-ups 2 days after buying a guitar when they might be better served letting their playing style adapt to the guitar.

• Members

On my LP Special, I owned it for about 2 weeks before I returned it and ordered the SG Classic. My initial impression of the P100s were that they sounded like P90s so I was really happy at first. But the in store playing and initial home playing were at low volume. One day while the family was out, I cranked up the Marshall half stack and what did I hear? Humbucker tone. Not bad at all, but not P90 at all. Since I wanted a P90 tone for gigs where I play really loud, that wasn't gonna work. P100s at volume DO NOT have the same characteristics as P90s, period. They get more of a chugga, chugga, crunch on high gain -- more focused breakup. Now that is not bad, but not what I was looking for. I wanted the wide open and fuzzy breakup of the P90!

Thought seriously about putting P90s in her then. Vintage Vibes were selected over Lollars based on reviews and price. I have $600 into the guitar, so another $120 for a set would take me into $720 territory. To much I thought for a guitar where I needed to change pups. And she was a beaut, didn't want to mess anything up and keep it original. So I reasoned that for just another $120, I could get my dream guitar, the SG Classic. So I returned the Special to GC and order the Classic. Made the wife angry, but me REALLY happy. Below are some pix of the Special before she was returned:

red.jpg

red1.jpg

red2.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by MoreGuitars

I'd play it for a bit before I changed the pick ups. I think you will come to like them.

I never did on my Jr. Special.

:(

But yeah, that's a good price. I was looking at that one too, but am currently flat as a floogie.*

BK

*I'm pretty sure this means "broke;" Curly said it in a 3 Stooges episode once. I often ask myself, "What would Curly do?"

Archived