drum shield in recording?

• Members

I've used the Isopack system for recording in a small project studio. I was concerned the reflections off the lexan would be an issue in the tracks, but fortunately it wasn't too noticeable. You will get a very tight, dry almost '70's drum sound. It isn't a big deal with all the convolution reverbs out there, but it will be different from the natural open, 'airy' sound you get in a nice sized drum room. Is that a bad thing? No, not necessarily. Who cares? You work with what you've got.

• Members

Yeah, what gtrbass said... also, I find it knocked down the drums SPL a fair amount. Enough to keep them from bleeding into the other mics much (and kept the dang Hammond out of the O.H.s too!). Here's my setup:

http://www.adigitalmus.net/StudioPics/DrumBooth.jpg and a sample of the sound http://www.adigitalmus.net/What/What%20I%20Do.mp3

Scott

• Moderators

Using ply over foam as a platform to set up on will isolate the low end and keep it from radiating through your structure. That's a very big part of what people hear. Auralex sells something to do this but it's got to be the easiest thing in the world to make your self. Make sure you find some fairly stiff foam so your platform is stable enough to hold your kit without rocking like a boat.

• Members

Pros and Cons of using a drum shield while recording?

The biggest Con is reflections from the nearby reflecting Plexiglass create terrible comb filtering that make the cymbals sound all phasey and hollow. What you really want is an absorbing gobo baffle like the one shown in the photo below.

--Ethan

gobotrap1.jpg

• Members

The biggest Con is reflections from the nearby reflecting Plexiglass create terrible comb filtering that make the cymbals sound all phasey and hollow. What you really want is an
absorbing
gobo baffle like the one shown in the photo below.

--Ethan

gobotrap1.jpg

Is that your room? Looks nice. If it is yours, how does all that wood sound?

Archived