703 Alternatives

• Members

They're in Santa Fe Springs, which is reasonably local. I wonder if they deliver?

I don't know about delivering, but they certainly ship to anywhere in the states.

When I ordered from them before they had three or more big centers in the states, one in socal, one on the east coast somewhere and one somewhere in the southern midwest, so they had three distribution centers.

• Members

I know mineral wool doesnt hold its shape as well as 703 but how big is the difference really? It seems to still come in sheets... do the sheet fall apart into fluff or are they just droopier? Would the mineral wool compact over time in a vertical panel so that the top space was just empty once it settled vs 703 staying true to rectangular form over time or is the difference not really that much?

Just curious because it seems 703 has a reputation of being "easier to work with" but if you only have to deal with it once when you are putting it in a frame of some sorts, is it really that much better than finding equivalent mineral wool?

The thing is that 'mineral wool' as a term doesn't really carry any connotation of stiffness or rigidity. It's just a fiber, just like fiberglass, and can be made into many different shapes and densities and stiffnesses, just like fiberglass.

For what it's worth, the panels I linked to from McMaster that I used to do my room were stiff enough to stand up on their own. I can't say how they would hold up without a frame over a period of years because I framed mine, but they were pretty stout.

• Members

I just recieved my order today. for 266 dollars I got 20 sheets of 2' x 4' x 2" and 10 sheets of 2' x 4' x 1". still not sure what shipping was. I think it was 60. make sure you specify having the delivery made to a residence (not a business) or you'll be charged an extra 60 dollars if a delivery is attempted by fed ex freight when you are not at home.

/jonny

Good to know, that's certainly something to bear in mind.

Let us know how your acoustic treatments turn out!

• Members

I'm gonna answer this 'Ethan style' like I used to.

Not so much. The 703 will be plenty for mids and highs and first reflections. The increased density of 705 or similar materials is more important for bass traps.

Not exactly the same, but either is perfectly adequate.

Once you start getting up into the higher densities of fiberglass and mineral wool you'll start to get some reflection of the highs as opposed to absorption. But the differences between 705 and 703 for this application (mid and high treatment, first reflections) will be very small. Also, if you space the panel away from the wall a couple inches, the air space behind it will help it to absorb to lower frequencies.

More bass trapping is always a good thing, but the benefit of using a denser fiberglass at first reflection points is pretty minimal. That being said, if you get a deal buying the 705 or equivalent in bulk and have a lot of it, either will do the job just fine.

Yes, facing the paper side into the room will make it more effective at absorbing bass frequencies. This is because the paper will vibrate in sympathy with the bass frequencies in the room, and then that vibration will be damped by the fiberglass. Meaning a bit more acoustic energy absorbed.

Yes.

Not really. Your bass traps in the corners will do you the most good there.

Yes, but spaced off the walls by a couple inches if at all possible.

• Members

>Once you start getting up into the higher densities of fiberglass and mineral wool you'll start to get some reflection of the highs as opposed to absorption. But the differences between 705 and 703 for this application (mid and high treatment, first reflections) will be very small. Also, if you space the panel away from the wall a couple inches, the air space behind it will help it to absorb to lower frequencies.

Take a look at our lab reports. Not only will spacing help with the lower end, but will absorb more high end due to sound coming in from the sides, hitting the back and then he back of the panel.

Glenn

• Members

Ok, I found that SPI does stock 703 and in three different forms: plain, FSK, and ASJ. They also have mineral board. I read Ethan's web site and I see the 703 and 705 FRK but nothing on accoustical treatment of 703 plain vs RSK vs ASJ. If I'm just trying to make a portable vocal booth, is the plain sufficient? Or do I go with RSK with the foil on the outside?

Prices that I was given today:

703 no facing - $1.06 per linear foot, $8.83 per piece

FSK - $1.58 per linear foot, $12.65 per piece

ASJ - $13.71 per piece

Mineral board

• Members

Take a look at our lab reports. Not only will spacing help with the lower end, but will absorb more high end due to sound coming in from the sides, hitting the back and then he back of the panel.

Glenn

Right-o. I neglected to mention that added benefit. :)

Archived