• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

no doubt. love it. ill DL it and check it out.... nice to know if i gripe about something i cant do it might get one.

this is completely skinnable right? so i could design my own look?

You can definitely give it your own look

There are also already close to 20 skins at the moment with news ones weekly it seems (I currently use one called Stealth that is very nice if you're into dark aesthetics)

some guys mix and match icons with other skins.

• Members

I sort of agree about the Vegas comments. There were people using Vegas (myself included before I got hooked on Acid). I've been playing with Reaper and like it thus far. I've not been using it enough to have any complaints yet.

Interesting that Acid used to be so cool as well but doesn't get mentions anymore. Version 6.0 is fairly cool. I've quit using Cubase SX 2.0 altogether unless I want to do an alternate sum.

wow, people used vegas? whodathunk.

I own an older version. IIRC, Craig Anderton likes it and uses it a lot, but IIRC, that's primarily for video editing use, which Vegas is very good at. The fact that it's also an audio multitrack is just a bonus for some people. Personally, I like it, but it has always lagged behind the other software DAW's in areas that a lot of people probably find critical for their work, and so they use something else instead. And that's cool - not everyone needs or wants the same feature set, and having options is generally a good thing IMO. Vegas doesn't meet my needs in some ways that other programs do, and so it's not my "everyday app", but even my everyday app lacks some features I'd really like to have. But it is getting better IMO with each release, and that's an important consideration when choosing a DAW - how does the vendor do with upgrades and listening to user feedback / input / bug reports?

I just D/L Reaper and I'm going to give it a look as soon as I get a chance. It may not meet all my needs, but OTOH, even if it doesn't, I have to commend them for their responsiveness and speed as far as their development and response to their users. That's cool to see.

• Members

yeah, its impossible for an app to be everything to everyone. nuendo doesnt do a lot of what i NEED sometimes.... like you cant change temp once you start on a project.... well you CAN but the midi/audio doesnt move with it. it took me a while to even find out you cant do something like that which is so simple to do in DP. the routing in Nuendo SUCKS... the inability to rearrange plugins sucks too. but its mackie control implementation is PHENOMENAL!

i DL'd the version posted above but wont get to play with it for a while due to a project thats WAY important right now that i have to get done and already started in Nuendo and cant move it over and learn a new app right now. plus its heavy midi.

i have been scoring a lot to video lately... using midi/VSTi's mostly. trying to get the movie trailer voice done tonight. then back to compositing in AE, then back to finishing out the score in Nuendo. then more compositing in AE, then scoring another section.

im sure once i start using it and seeing what i can and cant do i will have more critics for the UI.... especially the mixer section, and seeing how it works now which might end up being better than what im used to.

• Members

eah, its impossible for an app to be everything to everyone. nuendo doesnt do a lot of what i NEED sometimes.... like you cant change temp once you start on a project.... well you CAN but the midi/audio doesnt move with it.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I change the midi tempo all the time In Nuendo and the notes follow the new tempo and line up with the grid.

• Members

curiously, how are you able to sidechain VST's? from what i understand VST hasnt allowed sidechaining yet, hopefully VST3 will add that... i miss that from DP in a big way.

You can sidechain with the included compressor plug (and parallel comp with one comp plug which is cool) I'm not sure if it allow sidechaining with VST's.

• Members

i sit there and change the tempo and midi doesnt move AT ALL.... but neither does the audio which i need to happen as well. how do you get the midi to move? the tempo track? or in the tempo box? [changing tempo track automatically changes the box]

either way, the audio i have is like at 1|1|000, 2|1|000 and so on and i need it to stay at that location.

• Members

curiously, how are you able to sidechain VST's? from what i understand VST hasnt allowed sidechaining yet, hopefully VST3 will add that... i miss that from DP in a big way.

REAPER was made by/in consulation with actual audio engineers, not marketing engineers like the jokes we've been stuck with for so many years. Sidechains were a MUST from the very start. Routing was a MUST right away.

Luckily, VST has matured right at the same time and is allowing for more "pins" than the stereo pair to be exposed. So there are a few VST's that allow sidechains. REAPER's other fx format, Jesusonic, allows sidechaining as well, and with very little coding experience, you can create your own plugins, in realtime, while reaper is running. The internal track channels can bring sidechaining as well to normal stereo vst's with some slick bussing of signals, which you can store as a template to use later on for speed's sake

• Members

so how can we get mackie to give over the SDK for the MCU/XT/C4? i would love tight integration with it...

The MCU is working fine as we speak, I've got one and Justin has one as well. The XT's are working, but I think one user had an issue with it. The C4, not sure yet.

We need mackie to hand over the HUI SDK, I REALLY, personally don't want Justin to have to bust his balls on that when there are way better things to worry about, when it could be alleviated with one email from Mackie. He had to go thru the same crap with RME, Propellerheads, UA and others.

But I rant I digress. Your MCU will work fine...wouldnt mind you testing some of the new automation modes and leaving some feedback.

• Members

I own an older version. IIRC, Craig Anderton likes it and uses it a lot, but IIRC, that's primarily for video editing use, which Vegas is very good at. The fact that it's also an audio multitrack is just a bonus for some people. .

Its first version said "multitrack" on it...video was a bonus. If you got used to editing in vegas, and did the same sort of work a lot of us Vegans did, it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard to use anything else...but now the rest of the industry has caught up, in many ways. A lot of the Vegas userbase was revolting, and created a forum called "crossfade" ( http://www.crossfade-forums.net/ ) where we discussed other apps without fear of retribution. A lot went to Sonar. After Sonar 4 the app had a LOT of editing similarities to vegas, really we just wanted the mouse wheel zoom was the straw for most camels, but never got it. Samplitude also got the nod from many. Still, these two apps for many tasks took MANY more keystrokes or mouseclicks than vegas, so a lot of us put our hope in Acid 6

When that looked to have missed the target completely, reaper had just released its first beta.

You can read back the history of the crossfade forum and the general reaper forum to see just how incredibly fast this thing got up to speed. I met Justin at a session I had at Cherokee recorders in LA, where we decided to use reaper in lieu of all the other goodies there. This was still early beta, but there really was no doubt in my mind after that session

• Members

another thing i wish DAWs did from teh get go were busses. you know those sets of buttons [24 on good board] that sent the signal to a subgroup buss. NO DAW i know of kept that from teh analog world. i would LOVE that to happen at the top of the channel strip again. it was the ultimate for parallel compression to send easily. not like using aux sends... so i could send a channel to 24 different places at once. maybe its just part of the routing matrix you have there, as long as busses exist. thats another thing nuendo doesnt do as well as DP...

• Members

that sent the signal to a subgroup buss. NO DAW i know of kept that from teh analog world. i would LOVE that to happen at the top of the channel strip again. it was the ultimate for parallel compression to send easily. not like using aux sends... so i could send a channel to 24 different places at once. maybe its just part of the routing matrix you have there, as long as busses exist. thats another thing nuendo doesnt do as well as DP...

Oh boy, THIS is going to be a tough one to get across. Coming from the hardware world, a LOT of DAW paradigms were VERY hard for me to swallow...often they would make up a name for a "new exciting technology" that worked about 1/10th as well as its hardware counterpart, leaving you irate, when you knew a screwdriver or patchcable would EASILY give you what you were looking for if in hardware.

That said...uh oh, reaper's routing scheme kind of breaks the whole deal, with a new way of working, a new way of looking at it, but still, if you give it a fair shake, it is FAR more powerful than the other ways...at least far far far more flexible...

The thing you need to understand in reaper there is "track"

ANY and ALL tracks, can be busses, sends, recieves, regular old audio tracks, folder tracks and more .... ALL AT THE SAME TIME

This can be a royal bitch to get used to, but when you think about what it means, all sorts of serial and parallel audio and control signals start to rear their heads. Justin has actually given us patch points all over every track...not just regular patch cables either: these have gain, pan, and even phase, independently as well!

If you want to get up and running fast, in a regular old app's bussing scheme, just make a folder track and drop any tracks you want going thru that buss underneath...BHy default the folder's outputs go to master, though you can send it instead to ANY and ALL hardware or software destinations you choose

• Members

If you want to get up and running fast, in a regular old app's bussing scheme, just make a folder track and drop any tracks you want going thru that buss underneath...BHy default the folder's outputs go to master, though you can send it instead to ANY and ALL hardware or software destinations you choose

im not sure i get this at all w/o trying it... but what i was hoping for, is say i have a group of tracks. i want them all to go to bus 1-2, buss 9-10, buss 19-20 and the main outs. all post fader.and i want to send bus 1-20 to the main output as well.

• Members

im not sure i get this at all w/o trying it... but what i was hoping for, is say i have a group of tracks. i want them all to go to bus 1-2, buss 9-10, buss 19-20 and the main outs. all post fader.and i want to send bus 1-20 to the main output as well.

Thats the type of routing reaper accels at. Not only can they go to all of those busses and the main outs, there will be a separate pre post fx, pre/post fader, level, pan and phase for the send to EACH buss and master

WAY out of date, but the concept is still relevant (and note there are 64 trackchannels per track now, instead of whatever is in this video)

http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Tutorial_5_-_Multichannel_Routing

That will give an introduction to how it works in reaper, at least the way it did a year ago :)

Archived