• Members

I'm getting very close to letting Cubase go. Incredible application... just needs a few more pro features. Best free (uncrippled) $40 shareware daw I ever saw.

Modified Pro Tools Theme

reaper.jpg

My Custom Cubase Theme

cubase_1.gif

My Hybrid PT/Cubase Theme

cubase.jpg

(Edited by Phil to add a link to the developer's website)

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/index.php

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Has Reaper caught up in the MIDI department yet?

I looked at it a couple of months back, but it was heavily weighted in the audio department while I often use MIDI quite a bit.

What is impressive is how many updates the author comes out with.:eek:

Very responsive to his audience.

• Members

well, the mixer doesnt have enough "visual at once" that i can tell from the screenshots. channels are too wide. the pan at the bottom and track name at the top is backwards to every other DAW im used to. cant tell if it does surround. what kind of control surface support is there? delay compensated ext hardware inserts? tap tempo? tempo maps? video track?

its hard to tell much though w/o using it, and i dont have the time lately to learn how and find the workflow of it. im still trying to beat nuendo into submission.

they have done some VERY interesting things with it so far. i LOVE the routing. TMI on the left of the track overview for me, have what i need in the mixer window, be nice to turn that off as an option and just have track names.... put the stuff to the left in a right click menu maybe. mixer needs a better channel overview.

its cool you can design your own skin for it if you had the time.

i know some of my grips seem cosmetic, but those things add speed to workflow... like can the coloring expand to the channle names on the mixer so i can easily locate various groups? is there an overview of the channel and what is on it? what is active, what isnt?

i dunno, features they do have look great.

and when you say quick load... what if you have loads of plugins? does it load them in the initial startup, or only when instantiated? thats what takes longest that i can tell. running through all hte plugins, some checking folder setting changes...

like the top marker/section thing. can you make those different colors from each other?

basically, once im done with the audio recording/editing.... how far down can i close the track overview window and strictly work out of the mixer window effectively? i want to see more in it than i see in the screenshots.

really, i need to try it sometime... if i could only get some time.

I've got one of my students checking it out now, so I'll have to take a look at it myself RSN. So far though, I've heard pretty positive things from most of the people who have tried it. IIRC, Lee Flier tried it out and may still be using it. And I hear that responses to bug reports / feature requests is generally unbelieveably speedy.

What's the word on MIDI support? Hardware Controller support? Does it use ASIO driver audio interfaces? VST support? RTAS support isn't gonna happen...

• Members

Thanks AJ! LTNS too

well, the mixer doesnt have enough "visual at once" that i can tell from the screenshots.

That may change, but many of us like it this way. You kind of have to get used to plain old "studiothink" instead of "dawthink" with this app anyhow. Its got UNBELIEVEABLY complex routing schemes even more than a patchbay would give you, and each track has 64 independant trackchannels internally, so a LOT of the stuff will have to be visualized inside your head anyhow.

However maybe it all could be carried to the gui, some have come up with ideas

channels are too wide.

if others agree this maybe would change...havent heard this yet though

the pan at the bottom and track name at the top is backwards to every other DAW im used to.

Thats ok, "other daws" took ten years to come up with halfway sensible monitoring, which should have been FIRST on the agenda, if the apps were made by audio engineers instead of marketing engineers...how long for sidechains?

Im not too worried about what other daws do, because I spend 3/4 of my time on the net complaining about how they do things....till now

cant tell if it does surround.

with 64 channels per track it certainly could...needs to be looked at

what kind of control surface support is there?

This is one of the areas reaper really shines: its coder! Mackie wouldnt give him the SDK, so he worked it out for himself, in minutes or hours, it wasnt long till I had one to test. So far MCU, BCF, Tranzport (fronteir was first class all the way, sending a transport to test), alphatrack, faderport, some other stuff too I think. Which one do you want?

delay compensated ext hardware inserts?

yes

tap tempo?

its got a bpm measuring tool

tempo maps?

yes, this was one of the first things asked for, so we could leave vegas, as vegas only allows one tempo

video track?

yes

like the top marker/section thing. can you make those different colors from each other?

not sure...could probably be done though

seriously take the 30 seconds out of your life to download it and try it

its 2 megs man!!! the install takes SECONDS

you would have had all your answers in less time than it took for you to type this post

Im not kidding this coder can REALLY cram stuff in there, and its fast!!!

You can watch the videos I made for it, but remember reaper releases other apps, monthly or annual point releases every few days, so the videos are waaaaaaaaay behind

• Members

I've got one of my students checking it out now, so I'll have to take a look at it myself RSN. So far though, I've heard pretty positive things from most of the people who have tried it. IIRC, Lee Flier tried it out and may still be using it. And I hear that responses to bug reports / feature requests is generally unbelieveably speedy.

What's the word on MIDI support? Hardware Controller support? Does it use ASIO driver audio interfaces? VST support? RTAS support isn't gonna happen...

Phill take 30 seconds out of your life and download it...or if you are on mac, be a pioneer and grab the mac one for testing

yes its got asio and vst

in fact some of its plugs are available for use outside in other vst hosts

Tranzport (fronteir was first class all the way, sending a transport to test),

The folks at Frontier are really first rate. I love the Tranzport and use it nearly every day. I reviewed it for EQ (it got an Exceptional Quality award), and even though I was using one of the first ones built, it had good software support right out of the gate. They always said they would expand it even more, and they weren't joking - it's one of the best supported hardware units I've ever seen. First class indeed. :cool:

Does Reaper support HUI?

• Members

Does Reaper support HUI?

REAPER seems to support any products by manufacturers that give a crap about their customers. Unfortunately this precludes mackie, but we DO have MCU support, HUI might work...do you have one? 45 seconds from now you could tell me if it works :)

It appears it somewhat works from the forum I think

• Members

Does Reaper support HUI?

I asked this question on their forum yesterday and it doesn't at this point and time. I was told it was because Mackie is being stingy releasing the code to Cokos for some reason.

Although I haven't fully put Reaper through it's paces I have been playing around with it and it does some real interesting things like:

Saving efx chains

Saving track templates with all the plugins/settings

Reorderable inserts (:mad: Hello Steinberg)

You can open up 2 instances of Reaper and literally drag tracks from one project to another complete with plugins etc

Like others have said the routing matrix is killer

You can run it from a USB stick on any computer (it doesn't install in windows registry)

The media explorer (real time saver)

Reamote which I think is still in beta is much like fx teleport built into Reaper

Support second to none

I myself have lost a lot of faith in Steinberg regarding C4 and it seems like they're treating their customers worse than ever. Although I don't know if Reaper is is enough for me to jump ship I'm buying it on principal alone and will continue to delve into the program and support the developer

• Members

I have been lurking around the Reaper forum for a while. I don't post over there and have not payed for the program. No I m not cheap, just broke.

I don't have recording experience, so I do not have an opinion on the goodnes of Reaper. But, It does seem to be coming along nicely.

This is a pretty good time to check out the program. The user guide pdf is close to the current version.There are routing and mix demos on site now. Templates are being shared for included plugins. My main point is that even though alot of people who know their stuff are using Reaper, I think they are providing enough info to bring the clueless like me along.

• Members

well im not sure what screen resolution the shots were but i counted only 15 tracks visible at once, maybe 17 with the master gone.

i need to see what inserts i have on, what sends i have running.... and the pan on top thing kinda goes past "every other DAW" to every board ever put out probably. its how you see things.

right now my workload is simply too retarded to try it out no matter how small and quick it is.

thats disturbing that mackie wont release their SDK to them... and kinda makes me nervous of the intergration as i just switched from piss poor integration with PD to Nuendo where its rocking finally.

as for the wide channels, you need to have BOTH, most DAWs do this and one of the most used buttons i use while mixing.

i saw the video preview window, but no video track within the overview. it makes it easier spotting and cutting to. also FW output for video?

• Members

well im not sure what screen resolution the shots were but i counted only 15 tracks visible at once, maybe 17 with the master gone.

Im seeing 36, heres a screemie: http://stashbox.org/14753/10721693519-My-Desktop.png

i need to see what inserts i have on,

10721694049-Mixer.png

what sends i have running..

this is an area where reaper really shines. Hit your perfered keystroke to open up the routing matrix

Set up hardware I/O, sends, recieves, busses, even arm tracks from the uberest patchbay (plus gain pan and phase) you ever saw

10721694254-Routing-Matrix.png

.. and the pan on top thing kinda goes past "every other DAW" to every board ever put out probably.

You are going to have a really hard time convincing people to care about this one I'm afraid

right now my workload is simply too retarded to try it out no matter how small and quick it is.

Thats a GOOD thing!

thats disturbing that mackie wont release their SDK to them

well its crappy

RME is being rather lame as well, Propellerheads were, till Justin made his own version of rewire, then they sent him the sdk. UA has been lame, but are talking now.

It doesnt matter too much in the end though, because the coder is EXCEPTIONAL. You will hear this time and again. He took RME problems I had in vegas for 6 years and solved the main ones in an afternoon

... and kinda makes me nervous of the intergration as i just switched from piss poor integration with PD to Nuendo where its rocking finally.

whats PD ?

as for the wide channels, you need to have BOTH, most DAWs do this and one of the most used buttons i use while mixing.

Many of us actually don't use the left to right mixer. so its kind of irrelevant

i saw the video preview window, but no video track within the overview. it makes it easier spotting and cutting to. also FW output for video?

Not sure about this stuff. Its important to note that a lot of the OG reaper guys were people pissed off that Vegas had ignored its audio side for its video one, so it could be a tender subject...but it is creeping in finally

Phill take 30 seconds out of your life and download it...or if you are on mac, be a pioneer and grab the mac one for testing

yes its got asio and vst

in fact some of its plugs are available for use outside in other vst hosts

I bought my wife a Mac Mini dual core for Christmas, so I can try it on that. I will try D/L both versions... for some reason, I get a corrupted file whenever I try a D/L on my internet PC at the moment, but I can D/L both versions from hers and use a thumbdrive to move it to the other system.

Minimum system requirements are surprisingly low for Reaper. Very cool.

• Members

Kokopelli Kanak, is the Mac version a universal binary? (compatible with MacIntels)

:cool:

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4220

That thread tells hopefully what you want to know

"Notes: Requires G4/G5 or Intel Mac, OS X 10.4.x."

"Universal Binary, ABSOLUTELY REQUIRES OS X 10.4.x (.9 is all I've tested with). Supporting 10.3.x in the future may be an option, but it isn't yet. For PPC machines, it needs a G4 or a G5."

I asked this question on their forum yesterday and it doesn't at this point and time. I was told it was because Mackie is being stingy releasing the code to Cokos for some reason.

Strange. I don't own a "real" HUI, but the HUI emulation layer in my Yamaha mixing console gets used day in and day out around here, and I couldn't live without a control surface - YMMV of course. There's several companies who make controllers that have HUI emulation - I fail to see where the big secret is or why they won't let you see a SDK. :(

Archived