Where are you weak?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

no you cant... people are going to do what they want. if they are going to be late, they are going to be late. you can charge from the booked time and not arrival time which is what i do for people so that kind of elimates any issue there notifying them before hand so they know and its not some suprise. still, blaming others for what you claim as a personal weakness? =LAME.

i would say his weakness is definately his arrogance and egotism. im sure he has many more, but those are two pretty big and important ones.

• Members
no you cant... people are going to do what they want. if they are going to be late, they are going to be late. you can charge from the booked time and not arrival time which is what i do for people so that kind of elimates any issue there notifying them before hand so they know and its not some suprise. still, blaming others for what you claim as a personal weakness? =LAME.

i would say his weakness is definately his arrogance and egotism. im sure he has many more, but those are two pretty big and important ones.

gee there pissy pants...thought you put me on ignore.

at this point, if someone said these things to me face to face, you'd be bleeding. not because im angry, because you feel the need to insult people for no reason and the world would be better off without you.

This whole board has been like this lately. I stopped coming here because of things like this and i decided to come back and see whats up. seems to have gotten worse.

There are alot of people here who absolutely {censored}ing HATE someone saying something THEY don't agree with. If you disagree, say so. calling people names is soo 3rd grade. should i steal your lunch and stuff you in a locker next?

I think im going to delete all my posts here. maybe i'll come back and spam the place. maybe i'll just come to argue.

maybe alphajerk will finally get laid.

but probably not.

I will go record a band now tho.

bye bye.

• Members
my weakest point is getting people to be on time!
:mad:

The owner of the studio that I intern at right now told me last week that they used to have a lot of problems with getting people to show up on time, or sometimes at all. They started requiring a deposit for the first 2 hours of each session when you booked time there. If you were late they'd take the money for the extra time out of your deposit, or if you didn't show up they'd just keep it. Now they rarely have anyone show up more than 15 minutes late.

• Members

Actually getting down to work. I know it has everything to do with the fact that I don't have a space set up, and so to remedy the situation, I need to find the time to clean and dejunk my basement into a workable, clean environment where I can put up a permanent studio, cause as comfy as my couch can be, it certainly isn't good energy for the creative juicies.

• Members

I used to be lazy at recording vocals. I would accept good enough and never push for better when I knew I could. In order to improve I started recording my vocal tracks with my guitarist helping me (he is a good producer and he helps push me to make things what they could be with more effort). Since I have been working with him I have found that I now also go the extra mile and no longer accept what I would call "good enough". Now I push for what I know I can achieve even if it takes many more hours.

Let's PLEASE keep things civil folks. :mad::( HC has their rules, but as long as this forum has my name on it, rule #1, over and beyond the HC site rules, is that while it's okay to disagree - even strongly / passonately, personal insults, threats and ad hominem attacks are not acceptable here. Ever. Period.

"Be excellent to each other."

If someone is late, I might charge them from the time they were supposed to be there. Not always - I try not to be a jerk about it - if the excuse / reason seems reasonable, and they're generally on time and good clients, I might / probably will let it slide. If it starts to become a regular or semi-regular occurance, all bets are off. Ditto that for clients who cancel without notice.

On the subject of pay, I think it's not unreasonable to do things for free when you're still learning / starting out... but that dosn't have to be for the public at large. It can be for close friends or at school or whatever... but I think that you have to be careful about that because it can become "expected" and it might seem hard to break out of it and start charging for your time / services as your skills increase. Plus, it does devalue things in the eyes of your clients, and in a way devalues what engineers do in general.

At least get something out of it - even if you're relatively inexperienced. Materials costs, lunch / dinner, help with building acoustic bass traps - something. You're doing something for them, and even if your not JJP or RTB, you deserve respect and some sort of compensation in return.

• Moderators

Ken, I love your observations regarding bringing out more from a performer. One of the things I try to remember doing is to not concentrate on the perfomer but the work, and then the performance. That way, I can then speak candidly with the performer, bout the work and the performance because it's something slightly removed from them.

I find that attention to their "baby", the song, is a compliment. "Hey, someone's actually taking these 3 minutes seriously". So the 1st verse is to hyper and the last too somber... because this tunes lyrics really lend themselvs to a gradual build in intensisty. By disussing the song and not the performance, the performer becomes part of the solution to the challenge this piece of work is presenting...

... if the performance were instead the focus, the performer sometimes just buckles under the pressure. When I do that I get a lot of, "This sucks. I suck... I can't do this."

• Members
On the subject of pay, I think it's not unreasonable to do things for free when you're still learning / starting out... but that dosn't have to be for the public at large. It can be for close friends or at school or whatever... but I think that you have to be careful about that because it can become "expected" and it might seem hard to break out of it and start charging for your time / services as your skills increase. Plus, it does devalue things in the eyes of your clients, and in a way devalues what engineers do in general.

Not freebies, but many moons ago I was producing some music for a guy who was in small time wrestling and wanted customized music for his introductions. It was basically a mash-up before the term had been coined.

I began at a pretty bargain rate for a one-shot tune. He called back a year or so later to freshen it up, and I gave him the same rate. The third time he called, he had a little sticker shock when the rate had tripled. :eek: But by then I had a little resume and reputation for doing exactly his type of project ;)

• Members

My biggest hurdle is EQ at this point. I think too 'visual' and need to use my ears more... It's a struggle to get a full mix to sit without either hearing something that doesn't sound 'right' with the mid bottom, or no bottom at all... :(

• Members
Not sure if it is a weakness, per se >> since no client has asked for certain plugins or editing --but, we do not have a PC/Mac in the studio..Still strictly all Roland Daw

I use the Roland 2480 and a computer in my studio. To be honest the 2480 does the vast majority of the work and the clients are always happy with its results. That unit is highly under appreciated.:wave:

So do you use Roland mmp-2's with it, if you do you can run them through optical inputs and get better track separation.

• Members

I would really like alot of opinions on what im about to write.

Im Weak at mixing, with the source material availible to record and the equipment ive got infrunt of me i sometimes over rate the material being recorded "i am a novice still" but after ive mixed it and mastered it what im hearing doesnt translate at all to anywhere else. Even the master wave images look quite apart from the major kick's and loud sections. And large db changes in the spectrum analyser. i seem to mix bass heavy and have a 15db slope from 100 to say 15khz.

I recently placed my yamaha HS80 monitors on 1inch acoustic foam so the desk underneeth wouldnt vibrate with the speakers. After WHICH THE MIX became TRUE it was just amazingly more detailed, from what i thought was a creamy master with loads of processing now became a achieveable mix reference!!! im hoping this will solve my translating issues and mixing ones.

And this new materials sounds amazing im even mixing as i go FOR ONCE - i literaly applyed the foam the day before i wrote this! -

Has anyone has similar problems that you thought were you? mybe it is me:| well see soon!

And are we ment to use +6db D/A converters aposed to -10db consumer does it mater? i have a delta 1010lt and im currently recording and mixing at +6

• Members
I use the Roland 2480 and a computer in my studio. To be honest the 2480 does the vast majority of the work and the clients are always happy with its results. That unit is highly under appreciated.
:wave:

So do you use Roland mmp-2's with it, if you do you can run them through optical inputs and get better track separation.

I run a Manley DVC through a SEK' D 2496 converter