Good guitar for stoner rock.

sultan417

• Members

When Josh Homme was in Kyuss, he used bass amps occassionaly. Really no need to these days though, my Marshall has a deep switch on it that just slays when on. In fact, it takes to deep for my tastes. When I was doing a lot palm muting Metallica style stuff, i used it occassionaly. Made the amp really percussive.

I'm gonna state it again: 57 Classics with a Matamp GTL = stoner/doom nirvana. The best combination there is, hands down, end of story. I've just heard it so many times, so excellent.

Now for the rest of us who can't afford to have a Matamp shipped from the UK or a vintage Orange, find a Sunn Concert Lead Solid State or -- the best way to get that tone is to run a fuzz pedal in front of your amps natural gain. Marshall DSL 100 -- I use the Ultra Drive on Lead Channel 1 with the gain turned to 7 and a cheapo Flashback Fuzz on really low settings and a Boss EQ with the mids up. Then my SG Classic and wow, big, fat wide open distortion. Like Blues for a Red Sun era Kyuss, early Soundgarden or really early Smashing Pumpkins. Just huge sounding distortion, not a tight breakup at all, very loose sounding.

As mentioned, when I need to get more articulation I use the same settings but I push in the shift/tone button which scoops some mids out and play my Epi LP Custom with 500T/498R pups (which would explain the Explorer comment at the top of the page, same pups). Total Sabbath or Wino tone. Very 70s sounding! And if I need to go more modern, just push into Lead Channel 2 which is higher gain.

The Stoner/Doom tone is not just the amp alone, it really is the guitar/amp combo. And the tuning of the guitar -- I play down a full step and sometimes in Drop C. For stoner rock, that's about where you want to be. Doom takes it down even lower at times, like that Korn level of tuning! To rubber band feeling on the strings for me.

• Members

Yeah, I like D, dropped C and C myself, even for super heavy stuff. Lots of dudes I talk with play in B, but I use 14-56 strings and even those feel flabby that low. These cats are using a 65 for their low string. I'm not playing full-blown funeral doom or anything, a lot of that shit kinda bores me to tell the truth. I'm more from the Eyehategod/Buzzoven school of this stuff. It's just what I grew up on. I know a lot of dudes love Matamp, and they sound great, but it just feels too stereotypical to me. It's bad enough that I'm a lefty and play an SG.:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by walt0915

I know I'm an old fart, but I have to ask/comment:

There is actually a type of music known as "stoner rock" ???

Back in my day ALL rock was by and for stoners.

LMAO!

Yeah, man. Its basicially continuing in the tradition of classic metal bands like Sabbath/Blue Cheer, with some psychadelic touches at times. Heavy groove, fuzzy guitars. Check out Kyuss for a good first impression.

• Members

Originally posted by Forbidden-Donut

while on the topic of stoner rock....

Is it feasible just to use a bass amp? Stick some sort of gain pedal in front of it I imagine that sucker would rattle your soul. Has anyone done/tried it?

When i switched over to guitar from bass, the only amp i had for 2 months was my Ampeg SVT-CL (300 watt tube) and my Ampeg 8x10. With the right distortion or fuzzbox that thing sounded amazing.

Ive also used my Laney on top of the 8x10 and got some really cool tones that way. Punchy as hell!

The cab is the big thing, you cant have tweeters which most bass cabs do. And you need full range speakers, most bass cabs run a woofer and tweeter setup.

Cabs like the Ampeg 8x10 have full range speakers, no tweeters and are sealed. They are basically a big guitar cab in design, the Tech 21 bass cabs are the same in a ported 4x10 design.

• Members

Originally posted by crimson on pink

justin from electric wizard uses a cheap epiphone sg with dimarzio super dist. you don't have to spend a grand on one. save some dough and get some matamps.

Ill stick to my Laney. Matamps are great, but this Laney has a real grungy feel to it that i rely on for my tone.

• Members

Originally posted by sultan417

is a great example of the guitar tone i am going for, the song "Iron Swan" about a minute in after the acoustic-y part.

Hell yeah. The Sword kick ass. You should also check out Priestess (they use SG's and Firebirds into Richtone full stacks), they're on tour now or just finnished touring with The Sword. Other bands with some good stoner rock guitar sounds would be C'MON (early Gibson SG Special with p90's and a built in fuzz box through a Garnet head and a Green Matamp head), The Illumianti (Home made SG or Gibson SG or Eastwood Wandre Doris into a Hiwatt head and Doyle Cab or a Richtone half stack), and Fireball Ministry (Dean V's and Manarik guitars (fugly) into Orange amps).

• Members

Originally posted by sultan417

This bump brought to you by hot rock chicks!
:thu:

LoL... She does indeed rock but I dunnow if she's hot...

Glad you like the bands. Here are some more you may or may not know... Dozer, Red Elite, Whitey Houston (the last song's the best one), and El Caco.

I've got some C'MON concert shots that I took sometime early last year :thu:

CMonHorseshoe5.jpg

CMonHorseshoe6.jpg

• Members

Well, im trading in my Crate GT-3500h and returning my Crate 4x12. That should give me enough to get the SG Classic. I may have to kick in a few bucks, but screw it, im making out like a bandit this way.

Those P-90's, holy shit are they rock machines!:thu:

Archived