Good guitar for stoner rock.

sultan417

• Members

I just got into a new band that plays stoner rock. Stuff like COC, Mastodon and Down. Im need to get a new guitar since this stuff is in a different tuning than my other band and ill have about $1000-$1500 to spend.

Since im kinda new to this type of music i would like to get some reccomendations of stuff i should try out. Id like to stick with humbuckers since ill be using a pretty good amount of gain, but other than that im really open to suggestions.

On my list so far are:

Guild S-100

Jackson RR-5 or RR-1 with stop tailpiece

ESP Viper

• Members

You mentioned different tuning. I'm assuming down tuning?

If so, I'd reccomend something with a longer scale length ... atleast 25.5". You'll get better intonation.

You should consider P-90 pickups as well. Humbuckers can get pretty muddy under all of that downtuning and distortion that Doom-styled bands use. A P-90 will stay pretty articulate.

• Members

I thread that I can "be an expert" in!! I play stoner rock and doom these days. Same kind of stuff you mentioned with a tilt to a little more of the old school stuff like Sabbath, Place of Skulls, Spirit Caravan, and Kyuss.

Gibson SG all the way brother! In your price range, get the 61 Re-Issue, a bad ass guitar. For a few less shells, you can get a Standard. If your doing stuff like Mastodon, you need more articulation than P90s are going to give you at those gain levels. Second would be a Les Paul -- Wino (The Obsessed, Hidden Hand, Place of Skulls, Probot, and Spirit Caravan) is the doom God and plays a LP Custom.

I am using a SG Classic, but I want more of a huge and fuzzy breakup that P90s give. I also use an Epi LP Custom that is far from stock when I need a tighter tone...

• Members

Gibson SG's are used by a ton of stoner rock bands

Guild S-100 is just kick ass

LP's gan get nice and heavy

Eastwood Ultra GP is based on Josh Homme's Ovation

Something to look into would be the amp. Look for an Ampeg V4 or a Sunn amp if you wanna kill somebody with your stoner rock.

• Members

The ultimate stoner rock amp is the Matamp GTL: http://matamp.co.uk/gtl.htm

BTW, Orange were originally made at Matamp and split off. The new Orange amps are nothing like the classics. I've played both, major difference.

Electric Amps are the USA made versions (so they say) of the classic Matamps (Orange, Green, Black, etc.).. Heard good things and bad things, but they have not really made a big name for themselves yet.

http://electricamp.com/

• Members

Pretty much any dark-sounding dual humbucker guitar (LP, SG, Schecter PT) will do.

Personally I play stoner rock with my Hamer Cali. Its nice to be able to go from a humbucker for the crushing {censored} to a single coil for the fuzzier {censored}. The mahogany body helps.

• Members

Originally posted by Panopticon

SG with P-90s.

Already ahead of you, found on at the local GC for $720 w/case. I figure if the P-90 dont work i can get a custom pickguard with a humbucker in the bridge and route it out.

• Members

I was going to say a nice semi-hollow with hbs, but then i read the bands. Not really stoner rock. For stoner rock, kyuss, sleep, orange goblin id still stick with the semi-hollow. For mastodon id use an esp, emgs, keep it distorted but, not muddy. For old COC, like when they were more of a hardcore, like animosity, use the same. I just thought of electric wizard, use a baritone man, and if you havent heard electric wizard, do it.

• Members
Originally posted by javaCat

I just thought of electric wizard, use a baritone man, and if you havent heard electric wizard, do it.

Electric Wizard is more doom metal IMO. Doom metal tends to be a lot slower than what typically gets labeled as stoner rock.

• Members

I play southern rock styled stoner doom pretty much primarily, and that's pretty much always been my bag. I use an SG standard through Soldanos now, but I've tried a lot of different stuff for this style. Orange is great for it but modern Orange isn't really the same. Admittedly I've never owned an Orange but I've played through plenty of them plenty of times and an OR120 is totally tits. Just tried a Guild S100 at my buddies shop the other day with Rio Grande P-90s in it and that was some kickass tone. It just so happened I had brought my Soldano Super Lead 60 up there for my buddy to try out. Running that in the lo-gain input cranked was {censored}ing great vintage stoner metal tone. I can play a little bit right handed but I'm a lefty, and that guitar + pups made me want to buy it, switch the nut around, and say to hell with it. Big +1 for that axe.

• Members

It's feasible in some cases and many have done it. Bass speakers on the other hand = no {censored}in' bueno. I don't see any need for it though. Bass guitars also have a way more powerful output, so with a lot of amps that are geared towards that I think you'd end up with some {censored} sounds. Regardless of whether you're detuned or not, you still want some midrange cut. I've heard of a lot of sludge-players using a 15" extension cab for that looser low bass sound, but a guitar 15" and a bass 15" are fairly different animals. There are a lot of amps that have historically served double duty. Fender bassmans would be the obvious first example. I've heard of more than one bassist using an old sound city 120 guitar head, conversely. Using all low end frequencies is gonna suck really bad in most full band situations because your guitar's not goiong to have any cut in the mix.

Archived