Fix the record industry!

• Members

greed kept a universaly agreed upon format from taking root and here we are, two steps backward in sonic quality, and enslaved by MPG-3.

I don't think sonic quality is as important to buyers as listening habits and access though. MP3s crush other music delivery systems in these two factors.

there's an excellent discussion about this topic on pampelmoose.com.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Me and alot of others don't consider The Killers, U2 or the White stripes kick ass rock n roll. They are good bands but nowhere near the intensity of say ZZ Topp, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Old VH...etc.

You should check out Wolfmother. They do rock on par with those bands you mentioned. And I'm a ZZ, JP, VH fan from way back. 38 and jaded about r&r for a long time.

I bought the Wolfmother CD on a whim and it rocks. It seriously rocks. Intensity is there in spades.

• Members

Put simply, recorded music no longer has the perceived value it used to. It is like what happened to pre-recorded movies, but took longer. I bought a Beta copy of the first Star Trek movie for $105. Nobody does that today.

Recorded music is now the free toy in the happy meal - or packaged with some other commodity like movies, tv shows and commercials. Any large scale marketing model not based on that paradigm is doomed to failure.

Of course, that is only my opinion.

• Members

I don't think sonic quality is as important to buyers as listening habits and access though. MP3s crush other music delivery systems in these two factors.

there's an excellent discussion about this topic on

Lamborghini's are arguably better than Corvettes. There still seem to be more corvettes on the road for some peculiar reason.

• Members

Lamborghini's are arguably better than Corvettes. There still seem to be more corvettes on the road for some peculiar reason.

Sorry RR but I find that to be a poor illustration of music delivery mediums in the music industry. There's nothing peculiar about dipping cd sales and the popularity of MP3s IMHO. Here's another interesting post on pampelmoose about some reactions to Rick Rubin's attempt to rescue Columbia records. and here's some of the back story on an earlier story on pampelmoose.

• Members

Sorry RR but I find that to be a poor illustration of music delivery mediums in the music industry. There's nothing peculiar about dipping cd sales and the popularity of MP3s IMHO. Here's another interesting post on pampelmoose about some
. and here's some of the back story on an
on pampelmoose.

My honest opinion of this is that I just don't believe people respect recorded music any more. I mean generally speaking. I consider it a "dead industry walking". I believe people will still buy music, but similar to the way they buy toys in happy meals. I do think there will be a niche for many musicians to sell stuff at live shows, but I think the mega-star is going away - at least supported by their music. I think the stars will stay, but the music will merely be what gets their foot in the door.

Who knows though. Whoever does, well, they'll get rich off the knowledge.

• Members

Sorry RR but I find that to be a poor illustration of music delivery mediums in the music industry. There's nothing peculiar about dipping cd sales and the popularity of MP3s IMHO. Here's another interesting post on pampelmoose about some
. and here's some of the back story on an
on pampelmoose.

That is a good article. I'm still reading it, but one part was pretty funny. They said "People do not want to pay $20 a month for all the music in the world

• Members

Oh, and Hurt sucked. I mean, REALLY sucked.

to me Rubin has enough cred racked up it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of his recent work: he is one of the more important producers in the last 25 years IMO. whether people care or not he was instrumental in bringing hip hop to the mainstream. he's also produced alot of huge records.

as an exec he appears to be more of an asset to Columbia's PR campaign. that's all talk though. regardless of what anyone says, no major is doing anything 'new' until they start doing contracts differently and giving the public what they want, which is ___________________________! (come on I'm not going to say it---I'd be a millionaire if I truly knew that:))

• Members

Want an audience? You can self produce and create a web space for free with numerous online services like myspace. Yes I hate myspace too, but they are featured every month in Guitar Player Magazine with 10 of the top picks.

How about well- thought out albums with well written songs? In the 70's, recording artists (and the movie industry for that matter) was not trying to bombard us with quantity, but would hold out for quality. ZZ Top is getting ready to produce another album later this year- the prior album Mescalero- was produced in 2003.

making a website or myspace profile doesn't mean anyone will look at it let alone listen to it. it needs promo. USEFUL promo. guitar player may list 10 each month, but out of how many???

well though out albums are nice, but the 70s (and every other decade) had plenty o crap. pina colada song? disco duck?

ZZ top is a great band but when did they last release something GOOD? not in a long time. and thats why their last album was practically unknown to many.

• Members

Are CDs overpriced? terribly

i pay about 10-12$ for a CD these days. i have paid 10-12$ a cd since somewhere around 1992. considering how much everything else has gone up i dont see the problem with price of a cd. unless you go to the big crap stores at a mall and pay 19$. but hey, they've been doing that since about 1994.

nothing new.

• Members

My honest opinion of this is that I just don't believe people respect recorded music any more. I mean generally speaking. I consider it a "dead industry walking". I believe people will still buy music, but similar to the way they buy toys in happy meals. I do think there will be a niche for many musicians to sell stuff at live shows, but I think the mega-star is going away - at least supported by their music. I think the stars will stay, but the music will merely be what gets their foot in the door.

lets have a look.......

Kanye West - 930,251 - this week

50 Cent - 659,682 - this week

Kenny Chesney - 400,202 - this week

The biggest selling rock record this week is Nickelback with - 34,712 - and that record is 3 weeks away from being 2 years old.

i dunno but to me 930,000 units is pretty good for a "happy meal" product that costs about 6 times as much as an actual happy meal.

pretty friggin sad that the best rock record is nickelback. but hey, maybe the rock kids dig dudes with perms and identical songs these days....

or for the last 2 years....

• Members

lets have a look.......

Kanye West - 930,251 - this week

50 Cent - 659,682 - this week

Kenny Chesney - 400,202 - this week

The biggest selling rock record this week is Nickelback with - 34,712 - and that record is 3 weeks away from being 2 years old.

i dunno but to me 930,000 units is pretty good for a "happy meal" product that costs about 6 times as much as an actual happy meal.

pretty friggin sad that the best rock record is nickelback. but hey, maybe the rock kids dig dudes with perms and identical songs these days....

or for the last 2 years....

My post addresses the future. Yours addresses the present.

Archived