003R vs TD-12

• Members

I posted this in the recording forum and got no responses and very few views so I'm harassing this forum with it. :)

I'm looking to improve the drums in my recordings and for about the same price I can get a 003R or a Roland TD-12 module (or a used TD-20). The 003R will allow me to record more channels than my current mbox2 for my accoustic kit. Down side is that my room is 13x15x8 plus a closet protruding into the room in one corner. I have some treatment (703 panels in frames) in the room but the size of the room and low ceiling make for some inhibiting factors. And I could use a few more mics and preamps. Or I could get the Roland TD-12 to upgrade the sounds from my TD-5 kit and completely bypass the room physics, need for other mics and preamps, etc. Like most drummers, I'd prefer to play the accoustic kit but it's a live kit (Pacific FS, the birch kit) and not really a studio kit although I've got it tuned fairly well. I've done a few recordings with it and it's ok but would take a lot to get it to sound as good as what the TD-12 can do. I've done some recording with a mixer to add more mics but I really like individual channel control during mixdown. My studio setup is just for demo work and not intended to be a for-profit studio.

My other plan is to use the drums from the TD-12 and live cymbals which I can do with my mbox2. My brain tells me to go with the TD-12 but there's nothing like playing an accoustic kit. Flip side is that I could use the TD-12 live in some of our really small gigs.

I'm open to any input, other factors I should consider.

Archived