opinions on the best Asian guitars

SPONGEBOB

• Members

I'm a late 70's to early 80's Burny man....they make a great guitar,the 2necker reminds of the burny currently on the bay.Ain't cheap but a sweet specimen.Buy the way...do you find yourself really utilizing both necks at a typical gig,or is it about novelty!?I was considering a 2necker but somehow don't think I would use it to its max.9

• Members

Can be hit or miss... So far I've got a Chinese LP clone which is of decent quality (only swapped the pups), another MIC Hollowbody which is also good, a great MIK Johnson with good pups and a lousy MIC Johnson Tele, which has several quality issues.

• Members

Well, if you like stuff from the 70's and don't mind trying to find one, try finding a Washburn Falcon or Eagle.

The ESP/LTD EC-1000 is a nice one.

But my favorite asian made guitars have to be anything from the Jackson Professional line.

-Mike

• Members

Originally posted by phatster

I'm a late 70's to early 80's Burny man....they make a great guitar,the 2necker reminds of the burny currently on the bay.Ain't cheap but a sweet specimen.Buy the way...do you find yourself really utilizing both necks at a typical gig,or is it about novelty!?I was considering a 2necker but somehow don't think I would use it to its max.9

When I bought my first Ibanez Artist doubleneck in 1980, I was in a 2 guitar band where we were doing original material similar to The Cars and the Revolver period of The Beatles. I needed the versatility of an electric 6 and 12 string guitar while the other guitarist played a Hamer double cut and a Rick 360 through a Marshall 100 watt half stack. At the time, I was using an Ampeg V 4 halfstack along with my 335 and '74 Strat.

I paid $1K for my first Artist doubleneck which was a lot around 1980. The '79 doubleneck was a steal for $500.00 in the late '80's.

Ambassador-2640s.jpg

• Members

I have a Korean Epi Les Paul Standard.

One of the best guitars I own.

I must qualify that by saying the stock pickups were only good turned up all the way and this limited the tone possibilities with it.

I put on Burstbuckers and turned it into a smokin' Les Paul.

• Members

I have a Dean HardTail Select that is one of the nicest guitars I have ever owned. I also had an Ibanez SZ520QM that was killer and I regret selling it as well as a Jackson SLSMG that was one of the best sounding axes ever. I saw King's X the other night and Ty Tabor was playing a Yamaha AES through a Randall MTS setup that sounded killer and he didn't look like he was having any problems with it ;)

IMG_0005.jpg

For comparison's sake I own Fender and G&L USA stuff and have owned many Gibsons. I also have a bud who is a Gibson endorsee and I get ot play top of the line Gibsons on a regular basis. Oh, I had 2 Agiles, they are OK but nothing to write home about. Peace -Frank

Archived