Adding new external HD to G5MAC

• Members

Already posted this on another forum, need quick answer if possible. Someone told me they bought and tried to hook-up a new 320GB external HD, says they need to update OS 10.3.7 to 10.3.9 to use the HD. G5 dual 2years old, lot of RAM, never hooked up to the Internet. Any ideas or explanations? Thanks all for any help.

• Members

You can add a second internal SATA drive, and I'd recommend that first over an external, which would need to be FW(recommended) or USB.

You do NOT need to do any OS upgrades to add an additional HDD, internal or external. Search the Apple website, they have specific websites explaining step by step how to install a second internal drive.

• Members

I have 1 TB internal and always have an external 350 GB firewire drive connected to my G5. Never had a single problem with firewire. USB is a different story. I've had USB drives refuse to mount, mount but crash and mount and unmount randomly. I suggest that you NEVER try to attach any USB drive. USB has been great with other things (digital cameras, iPods, audio interfaces) but USB hard drives just suck.

Archived