Does an engineer's primary instrument affect their approach?

• Members

I can play most anything, but guitar is my main instrument. I realize that I lean toward having the guitar too loud, so because of trying to compensate for it, I actually often mix the guitar too low. I'm learning to even out, but I'm really grateful for digital recording and the ability to easily remix.

Also, I've discovered that I really like "raw" music-by that I mean music that doesn't sound heavily produced and has mistakes in it. So when I'm doing arrangements or tracking with clients, I tend not to double track (or more) a lot of the instruments, or I'll have them leave certain unintentional things in there. That's another place I have a bent in a particular direction that I'm having to adjust to meet my clients needs instead of my own personal preference.

• Members

i think it does a little. probably more at first tho. I know as a guitar player, i simply enjoy getting cool textures going for guitar which pretty much allows whatever sound ya'd like. as long as its good of coarse:D

ultimately, i think it makes you able to get a good sound faster for your instrument of choice. maybe not. but i know it takes me about a minute to mic a guitar amp provided all cables are run, mics setup, etc.

tho i do like me some loud guitars, it wouldn't matter without the rest.

it really is, what does the song need/want? and that's something that is different for everyone thank goodness.

• Members

I have a fairly wide range of intruments... Started on Piano, then trombone, in college I took up guitar, more recently bass and lastly drums.

The only real influance I can think of off the top is that the less I know about an instrument, the more I fuss over it. I'm really a beginner at drums and I spent hours trying to get the kick drum right... Why does it thump instead of thud? why the @#$&* is that snare drum ringing like that?... how do I make it stop? etc.

I suppose, like someone else mentioned, that for your main instrument you know what it is supposed to sound like, so there is less experimentation. You reproduce the sound you know.

• Members

I've only mixed a couple songs at school but I don't think the instrument i play (the guitar) affects the way i mix. I always start with the drums and bass and do the keys/pads and guitar last. I've noticed i usually place the guitar to quiet in a mix right off the bat and have to go back and change it.

Archived