A stupid FU and Sound Replacer Saved My ASS

• Members

I have never made this mistake before. While doing a series of drum tracks I forgot to put up a Bass Drum track in Pro Tools. Used Beat Detective on a room mic. Spent about an hour and a half deleting all the drums that were not bass drum, went to an earlier file and used three bass drum samples and then Sound Replacer. It was a cheat, but you can't hear the difference from the other tracks.

What was cool was that I didn't have to buy this plug-in. Digidesign rents it for various amounts. I took the 2 days for $10, that way I didn't have to spend the $395 (???) to own the plug in and saved hours doing the replacing by hand.

• Moderators

Ha! I just did something like that last night. While I was tracking a whole albums worth of drums a few weeks back, on one tune, I routed the input to the snare channel from the kick pre. The end result being redundant kicks and no snare. It was purely a software routing issue.

Last night I put Drumagog across a duplicate of my OH's and triggered a new snare. Printed it, then edited out the mistriggers from tom fills. It took 20 minures.

The upside was this particular tune was crying out for a more gimmicky snare anyway so I printed it with some cool oversquashing and it's own whacked out modulation and cool/cheesy gated verb. Like magic.

I hate to admit it, but I've had to use SR in a similar manner. I normally use two microphones on kick drums - a dynamic inside and a Yamaha Subkick outside... and in my haste in setting up the session, I had both tracks up, but was sourcing both from the dynamic mic on one song. Oops. :o:mad: No worries - I just opened one of the other sessions / songs where I had routed / tracked everything correctly, snagged some Subkick samples and used the accidentally "duplicated" dynamic mic track and replaced everything with the Subkick samples. Worked great. :) And because I was going "over" a reasonably well isolated kick track, I really didn't have to worry about editing out bleed from other drums... although I've had to do that more than once in order to try to get more snare from a drummer who bashed the brass and lightly tapped the skins... :mad: ...and that's tedious and takes a while. But it's nice to be able to fix stuff like that after the fact, especially if the drummer has already gone home. Otherwise, a retrack might be a better / quicker idea... depending on the drummer's "skill" level of course. ;):eek::D

• Members

I've used Drumagog in a similar fashion, but used to augment some premixed drums with a new kick drum. Worked pretty well. Drumagog has the filter that allowed pretty good separation (after EQing the duplicate first), that I was able to easily augment the kick. Took about 2 minutes.

Recently, though. I double routed the mic only bass signal to the bass DI. I needed that DI. Oh well, we ended up recutting the bass to the songs.

Where's bassagog when you need it?:idea:

Archived