Weird detune when I import wav files into Cubase

• Members

I'm pulling .wav files off of an Alesis HD 24 hard drive using a FirePort. Then I'm importing the files into Cubase LE. This is a remix, by the way...The original CD and playing the wav files individually on the FirePort software tell me that the tracks were recorded in tune. Then when I import them, they detune a little more than 2 semitones.

The only think I can think of at this point is the sampling rate. The HD24 recorded them at 48kHz and I can only get the Cubase software to use 44.1kHz.

Anyone run into this? Any fixes?

• Members

It's like playing back a tape recorded at a different speed.

I'm not a Cubase user but I imagine you simply need to start a new project with a sample rate of 48 kHz and then import your audio files into it.

Now, if you want to get them out of the de facto vid standard of 48kHz sample rate and into the de facto audio standard of 44.1kHz, you'll need to use a sample rate converter to recalculate the wave forms and minimize damage to the underlying audio information from SRC-related alias error.

Here's one that tests pretty well up to above 18 kHz bandwidth (its filtered heavily above there to remove potential alias error). You can pay for an SRC software that will deliver accurate SRC for as high as 20 kHz in program material bandwidth (at a 44.kHz SR).

Remember, if you know a project is going to a given format, CD (44.1 kHz ) or video (48 kHz or 96 kHz) it pays to start at the right sample rate unless you have access to high quality sample rate conversion and don't mind some extra hassle (and, often as not, negligible returns on the extra hassle).

• Members

Right. Assuming you want it in the CD standard of 44.1, you can do your conversion at any point and probably have it make little difference. I think there are some who might argue that some plugs or FX might work better at 48 kHz SR so it might be better to do your conversion on the back side of any processing you do... but you can find someone to argue anything. ;)

• Members

Okay, this makes sense, then. The tape analogy is good. I kept coming up with something like that in my head.

Good advice about putting it in the proper format as you're recording it. Unfortunately, I didn't record these tracks. They were done on an Alesis and then mixed in an analog environment. They were likely converted to 44.1 when they were burned to CD.

I wish it were that simple as putting Cubase into 48k. The LE version doesn't seem to allow this. :(

I'm going to need to convert them before I do anything to them, as I'm going to be re-shooting/adding vocals. Can't sing and mix in the wrong key...:freak::D

• Members

I just realized I didn't actually include the link to the FREE Sample Rate Converter (from Voxengo) I was talking about... sometimes I get carried away...

http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

(Afraid it's Windows only. I'm sure there are free Mac SRC's.)

Anyhow, R8tbrain should fix you right up, long as you're on Windows. (It appears to be a Windows standalone program, not a plug, which makes sense.)

• Members

Good advice about putting it in the proper format as you're recording it. Unfortunately, I didn't record these tracks. They were done on an Alesis and then mixed in an analog environment. They were likely converted to 44.1 when they were burned to CD.

I botched this a few times too when I first started recording digitally. I recorded at 48kHz instead of 44.1kHz, not thinking it through all the way.

If you are recording at a higher resolution, you can consider recording things 88.2kHz (instead of 96kHz) because the mathematical computations are much "easier" when converting, from what I've read.

• Members

That was my next question as Google wasn't very fruitful. Thanks!

Sorry about that! My mind is just so brimming full with useless impulses... uh... Where was I?

:D

I was surprised by that when I googled for it, too. I just went through the parent site. But I'm pretty spoiled.

When I google a plug -- I want to go right to the DL page, y'know?

• Members

When I google a plug -- I want to go right to the DL page, y'know?

I hear ya.

It worked like a charm, by the way! I owe you a beer/soda/coffee/beverage of your choice. Redeemable if you are ever in Cincinnati. :D:thu:

Thanks again!

Archived