Oktavamod....Worth it?

• Members

Hey all,

I've got an Oktava 319 that has pretty much fallen by the wayside. First mic....doesn't keep up with my newer choices on anything (except hand percussion....).

So theres this guy that mods these things and makes some good claims. Seems up and up. the clips he posts with before and after sounds like my mic....and then a much much better mic.

Anyone gotten a mod from Oktava mod? I was thinking about going all out, and getting the floating dome and premium electronics mod, and hopefully using that to subdue my GAS for an AT4047.

Worth it? Seems like a good deal to have another useful flavor over a useless one....

Worth it? I dunno - I still have not heard any of the Oktavamod mikes, although I keep meaning to send off a couple of my MC-012's so that I can see what all the fuss is about. :)

I can tell you that I have heard only positive reports about their service and the sound of their mods, but that's second-hand information; not from direct listening experience. I have spoken to Michael a few times via emails, and he seems like a nice and knowledgeable guy.

If you do get a mod done to your 319, please let us know what you think. :wave:

• Moderators

There was a review that OctavaMod posted on their site from Reference Mag I think it was. Or some other non US high end audio mag. They discuss the 012 mod. It sounds like what I want. Move the sound of your 012 to an almost duplicate of a KM84.

Ever noticed a peakiness in the 012's when placed as OH's and the cymbals get pummeled? The review details how this behavior is rectified. Tighter bass, smoother, more present mid, and no little peak in the highs when hit hard.

75 bucks. That sounds well worth the gamble.

• Members

Well....I bit the bullet and sent payment in. Now I just got to get my bench date and shipping instructions.

I went all out. Floating Dome, Premium Electronics. I'm looking for a good male vocal mic. I was considering a 4047 for that U47FET, but since I already had the Oktava, I figured I would give this a go since the U47 FET is repeatedly mentioned on the site as a comparison.

However, last night I felt fairly sure I was going to do this so I recorded some talking and a bit of acoustic guitar with the unmodded mic, which I will post as comparison once the modded mic comes in.

• Moderators

However, last night I felt fairly sure I was going to do this so I recorded some talking and a bit of acoustic guitar with the unmodded mic, which I will post as comparison once the modded mic comes in.

Great idea. I look forward to it. I hope it pleases...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Mic has been sent back, but it requires a signature at delivery and since I work, I won't be able to get them (and my harry potter book) until saturday. boooooooo.

But I will report as soon as I get it. In the meantime, I have acquired a broken MK012 which I will send to Oktavamod for repair and premium electronics upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey all,

Sorry about the delay. I had to finish a record and such. But here are the clips. These were recorded very quickly and right next to my computer and there was no care in placement, especially in the acoustic guitar tracks.

But the difference is clear. Especially on the talking tracks.

talking

unmod: www.sdlevine.com/oktavatalk.wav

mod: www.sdlevine.com/oktavamodtalk.wav

Acoustic:

unmod: www.sdlevine.com/unmodguit.wav

mid: www.sdlevine.com/modguit.wav

I also just recieved my fixed and modded MK012, but I haven't used it on anything yet, and I've never used an MK012 before so I have no basis to compare.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I love the 012. I did a quick demo of it the other day because I hadn't had a chance to make sure it worked yet. Never used an unmodded one but should have one coming today (won an ebay auction)

The modded 012 .....just has THAT sound. You know. Very detailed, balanced and forward. Its sort of what I remember getting out of an sm81 but way cleaner and more precise. 1st acoustic guitar track I have ever recorded where I felt no impulse to eq anything. Listened back through the monitors and it was like...."ok then". Just plain sounded good.

I'll do a quick ab of modded vs unmodded, then I'll send the new 012 to get modded too so I have a pair.

• Members

wow, i like those samples. as it turns out the oktava 219 was my first mic. i went to that site meaning to pick up one of the other models, and saw he was talking up the 219. that hunk of junk was literally sitting in my sock drawer. turns out i might have sock drawer gold! i think im gonna send it in post-haste.

• Members

Sounds too sibilant to me...

:rolleyes:

Really....?

You should check out a Rode mic...... THAT is sibilant. Acutally I wouldn't say its sibilant, I'd say its very bright. MXL mics are sibilant.

The oktavamod is pretty dark and round for a condenser. Very clear though. But it holds up in dense mixes better then a ribbon.

• Members

Really....?

You should check out a Rode mic...... THAT is sibilant. Acutally I wouldn't say its sibilant, I'd say its very bright. MXL mics are sibilant.

The oktavamod is pretty dark and round for a condenser. Very clear though. But it holds up in dense mixes better then a ribbon.

If you are referring to the Rode NTK, I've got one, and hate it because of the sibilance... and I don't like the sound of your modded Oktava for the exact same reason. But, if you like it, be happy and ignore me.

:D

• Members

If you are referring to the Rode NTK, I've got one, and hate it because of the sibilance... and I don't like the sound of your modded Oktava for the exact same reason. But, if you like it, be happy and ignore me.

:D

I have an NTK as well. It gets much better with a tube change, but its still WAY brighter then the oktavamod. Also has less depth. But actually quite good on vocalists that require more definition. If you have a mumbler, the NTK takes out the mumbles. The most common comparison to the oktava mod mics are Nueman U47 fet mics, and the clips I've heard are pretty damn close. And thats about as non-sibilant and smooth as a non-tube condenser gets.

But, nothing wrong with opinions. When I want extra smooth, I go for my ribbon. But I think the oktavamod shows great improvement over the stock sound, and provides a useable flavor for many voices. All at a very reasonable cost.

I just ordered a second mk-012 mod for a mic I won on ebay last week. Should I come across a reasonably priced mk-2500 I'll get that modded too. Theres no better value around IMHO.

What mics would you suggest for a classic FET vocal mic sound?

• Members

What mics would you suggest for a classic FET vocal mic sound?

Beats me... I'm not a pro... But I do know what I don't like... Right now I've been really happy with my Shure sm7 into a Great River pre for my voice.

Works for me, maybe not for you.

:thu:

• Members

Beats me... I'm not a pro... But I do know what I don't like... Right now I've been really happy with my Shure sm7 into a Great River pre for my voice.

Works for me, maybe not for you.

:thu:

Well, the SM7 would certainly not be sibilant, and is a great mic for sure. But hey, lots of different sounds in the world. I'll probably pick one of those up at some point too.

Archived