Am I clever?

• Members

first post on this board, yadda yadda. I usually hang out on HCEG, though lately I've been lurking on KSS. Anyway, I come here with a question.

I've got this studio in my basement. Nothing much, really. Last year's model iMac with a digi 003, some mics and guitars and amps and a few MIDI boxes. Perfectly fine for my needs. I decided a while ago my studio needed a name.

I came up with 'Debasement Studios'

I googled it, and found out, to my great shock, that noone else has used it that I can find. Is it clever? Remember, it's in a basement. And if it is clever, I hereby lay claim to the name.

• Members

Well the mammoth software outfit Ashton-Tate (#3 through the mid-80s) kinda stole that fire a little with their database software, dBase.

But trademarks tend to be very specific to the industries served. (And, of course, unless things have changed, the dBase nameplate is now owned by a hobbyist in the midwest somewhere, IIRC, after Ashton-Tate, which had made BUNDLES of money with dBase III+ announced, to repeated questoins that there woulnd't BE a dBase IV, they were putting all their efforts into "revolutionary" software called Frameworks. (Several other products have since been named that, of course.) They later relented, when some me-too software that was less buggy and performed MUCH faster (Foxbase, FoxPro) started selling a BUNCH of copies. Ashton-Tate put TEN THOUSAND programmers on a "rush" job and managed to get a dBase IV product out -- almost a year after they'd announced it would be out. It had a THOUSAND fatal/data-destructive bugs in it when it shipped. (This was an unofficial leak from insiders. But NO ONE had any trouble believing it. The product was completely unusable. Slow, completely buggy. Ashton-Tate all but collapsed under its own massive overhead in a matter of a year or two. It was extraordinary. And that me-too software, FoxPro? They were snapped up by a little outfit up Redmond way called Microsoft, which maintained the nameplate but used the core technology to inform their own database efforts, as they entered that market first with their own version of FoxPro, then with a MS-style database manager, Access. I believe some of that technology also went into their MS SQL Server.)

Anyhow... back from memory lane...

Debasement...

Why not?

;)

• Members

well, it's not like I'll be trademarking or getting the domain name or anything. I don't expect to be in my basement forever, you see.

I did get a 1U blank rack plate, and I'm going to put the name in 1 inch vinyl letters and put in on my rack, though....

• Members

well, it's not like I'll be trademarking or getting the domain name or anything. I don't expect to be in my basement forever, you see.

I did get a 1U blank rack plate, and I'm going to put the name in 1 inch vinyl letters and put in on my rack, though....

Gotcha. I was just thinking that something like a domain name is fairly cheap if you wanna nab it (although it looks like some of 'em were nabbed already). Trademarks are a bit pricier.

Hopefully soon you and everyone else who records there will be singing its praises!

• Members

Gotcha. I was just thinking that something like a domain name is fairly cheap if you wanna nab it (although it looks like some of 'em were nabbed already). Trademarks are a bit pricier.

Hopefully soon you and everyone else who records there will be singing its praises!

Trademarks are almost impossible to defend unless you have big bucks to back it up.

If their lawyers are bigger than your lawyers -- you're pretty much sunk, right off the top.

Trademark defense is total king-of-the-hill stuff...

But there's nothing to stop you from filing a DBA (doing-business-as) locally, setting up business accounts in your selected name and so on and just going a head on. I mean, there are a million Joe's Eats out there... give or take a hundred thousand.

However, I wouldn't recommend using the word "monster" in any business that has anything to do with wire or wires... ;)

Archived