Two MIDI interfaces on one computer

• Members

Hi,

I just (today) bought a stage piano for my newish home studio. It has a USB port to connect to a computer and use with a sequencer (Cubase).

I have an audio interface with only one midi in/out, and it's taken. And, it would be really convenient to connect the stage piano to Cubase via usb.

My question is, would I run the risk of MIDI timing issues somewhere down the line? Essentially, I would have two midi interfaces connected to my computer. One via firewire (my audio interface) and one via USB (the stage piano).

A colleague of mine says no problem running the piano via USB, but I thought I'd check here for a second opinion.

Some years ago, MIDI via USB was basically asking for trouble. I'm not sure whether that's changed or not.

Thanks for any advice.

Brooks

• Members

MIDI just doesn't care....

I've got an AlesisQS8.2 hooked up with a MidisportUSB2x2, a Keystation49 hooked up by its own USB, and on my 828mkII I use the midi for a windsynth vl70-m box and a FCB1010 foot controller.

All midi needs to know is what track or device is coming off of what port.

(Remember that MIDI was designed in the days of >>8MHz computers