Does your strat sound blah unplugged?

voneville

• Members

Go into a music store and pick up a Lite Ash Stratocaster, and play that unplugged, it sounds beautiful.

My stratocaster used to sound like crap, but then I got a pro set up done, sounds pretty nice, not as nice as the lite ash, but still good.

• Members

Originally posted by yjsays

Go into a music store and pick up a Lite Ash Stratocaster, and play that unplugged, it sounds beautiful.

My stratocaster used to sound like crap, but then I got a pro set up done, sounds pretty nice, not as nice as the lite ash, but still good.

Ash guitars do sound quite loverly.

How would a setup improve acoustic tone though? I'm curious now.

• Members

mine has a dark tone to it while unplugged. several other players have agreed while playing it.

my 72 ri tele deluxe sounds way different unplugged. maybe be the maple fretboard?

btw: my carvin dc start is even darker.

• Members

I have an Indian Squier II strat that sounds pretty dead unplugged. I would assume it has to do with the body wood and cheap tremolo. But it sounds great plugged in so I've kept her around.

I played a 50th Anniversary MIA & a new Lite Ash start yesterday and they both sounded great acoustically.

• Members

Originally posted by voneville

How would a setup improve acoustic tone though? I'm curious now.

intonation could be off, that's why it sounds like crap. same thing with my strat until I got a pro set up, now it sounds fine acousticly

• Members

Originally posted by CompleteGuitard

See, I have weird strats. I have one that sounds {censored}ing amazing plugged in, but sub par acoustically. And other one is the exact opposite. I don't understand it.

I don't think that's at all unusual. The acoustic tone can, at best, give an indication of how it will sound played clean.

I would never buy a solid body guitar based on its acoustic tone.

• Members

I think it may be that I'm used to the sustain of a hardtail bridge. It's not really a concern, since I am more concerned about the sound when I'm plugged in. I was just curious if this is a result of the bridge design.

Maybe my springs are stretched too tight? I doubt that would make a difference, but it seems to make a difference in the Jazzmaster tremelo's.

As for pro-setup's, I've never had one done to a guitar I already owned. I have purchased a couple that had been "set up" and I wasn't able to notice a difference. I guess I'm just not that picky. I ussually fine tune the intonation and leave factory setups alone. I've never had to adjust a truss rod. Ignorance is bliss I guess, because I like how my guitars play. There's probably a couple I've owned through the years I would have kept had they had a setup done, though.

• Members
Originally posted by walfordr

I don't think that's at all unusual. The acoustic tone can, at best, give an indication of how it will sound played clean.

I would never buy a solid body guitar based on its acoustic tone.

Me neither. Just another hang up for some such as as LP weight effecting tone. They are meant to be amplified. They are not acoustic instruments. Does it sound like {censored} with an amp? If no, who cares?

• Members

I really never go by the unpluged tone. It doesnt for me say much about its tone plugged in. Diff string brands also affect tone on both sides.

Has played solid body guitars that had "great unplugged" tone and mediocre tone thru amp. Has played solid body guitars with average unplugged tone that sounded great thru the amp. Those whose norm is overdrive or distorted tone wont learn much about how the guitar will sound plugged in from how it sounds unplugged n my experience & view.

Archived