1 piece vs. 2 piece body construction

Cosmic_Osmo

• Members

Is there any reason to use 2 pieces of wood glued together when building a guitar body rather than just 1 solid piece, other than the fact that it is hard to find a single piece of wood big enough to build a body out of?

I'm curious because I want to build a mahogany body, and almost all of the tutorials I've seen show people gluing 2 pieces of mahogany together side by side. I'm curious as to whether or not there is any advantage to this method, or if they were just doing it out of necessity.

Also, any recommendations for the best place to buy a good quality plank of Hondurian Mahogany for body construction?

• Members

No major reason. Usually it is because it is easier to fine quality wood in smaller peices. I don't thonk 2 or 3 bodies are a negative either, most of theos evitnage Strats and Teles from the '50's are 3-piece.

Mahogany id most often used as a one-piece body or back anyway.

Do a Google for guitar wood or lumber and check the luthiery sites and you'll find at least a dozen suppliers of blanks. I don't have the experience to recommend one over another.

• Members

I agree that the number of pieces (within reason of course) shouldn't matter that much. I've got good sounding guitars that have bodies ranging from 2 to 5 pieces (if you count the top).

On a neck a multipiece neck (done like they do on basses - several pieces lengthwise) can be stronger and less prone to warping etc.

• Members

I don't think most makers use biscuits. There isn't really a need for them strength-wise, and there are other (arguably better) ways to align the pieces for gluing.

You can glue a body blank with lots of stuff, but I prefer Titebond (not II or III, which can creep) for mine. Nice managable glue line, and plenty strong enough.

Larry

• Members

Originally posted by exhaust_49

In a 2 piece back with a two piece top wood (les paul) does the glue affect the resonance?

Also how are the two back pieces joined? I'm guessing with biscuits and glue. What kind of glue is best to use?

Just glue, no biscuits. The blanks are cut, glues and clamped. After the glue cures, the body shape is cut.

• Members

I was curious because I'm about to order a guitar body from warmoth and was wondering if it was worth it to spend money on a one piece back.

That's up to you, to some it's important to have a one piece I don't necessarily see the point if you are going to drop top laminate on it. It's personal preference really.

The only time I will use a one-piece is if I find an exceptional piece of wood.:thu:

• Members

I was curious because I'm about to order a guitar body from warmoth and was wondering if it was worth it to spend money on a one piece back.

If your going to use a see through finnish & dont want to see a seam, then it's woth the extra $$$.

• Members

I will be using a clear poly finish (no paint) so it's something to think about.

By the way, to get a one piece back it's an extra $150. Im not sure I'm willing to spend that much extra for a one piece back. No one really sees the back but me.

• Members

I will be using a clear poly finish (no paint) so it's something to think about.

By the way, to get a one piece back it's an extra $150. Im not sure I'm willing to spend that much extra for a one piece back. No one really sees the back but me.

I don't think it's worth it-I have a Warmoth thinline tele body-two piece back and two piece top-all ash. They're well bookmatched, especially the back. Tonewise, it can't be worth that much $. On the other hand, my Suhr Classic has a one piece body and it's pretty cool-you won't find that on a Fender-at least that I've ever seen. No top to cover it up though.

• Members

I remember reading something about how a two piece back with a top wood is less prone to warping than a one piece back with a top wood. Can someone here explain this to me again. Thanks.

:thu:

Is this really a problem? I've never heard of a guitar body warping.

• Members

I remember reading something about how a two piece back with a top wood is less prone to warping than a one piece back with a top wood. Can someone here explain this to me again. Thanks.

:thu:

Not an issue. Trust me.

The biggest difference is cosmetic, pure and simple. On their carved and lam topped guitars, Warmoth usually uses three piece backs, they don't look as nice as a one piece, but they aren't ugly either. CHekc out a few in the showcase and decide which you prefer.

Archived