Question for the Pro's (Led Zep subject matter):

I have not tried the Waves Neve plugs, so I can't comment there, although I do like and use some of their other stuff. But that's only covering you for the EQ and compression... what are you tracking through?

As far as Manley stuff goes, I have the utmost respect for EveAnna Manley, and the products they make are world class. Hutch, their designer, is a very bright guy and I've had several pretty extensive demos and discussions with him about their gear and audio in general - IMHO, the guy definitely gets it. :thu: Manley's Pultec EQ's are what I'd recommend checking out if you're after one that sounds great, works reliably and isn't going to cost you vintage Pultec bucks (or Pounds).

Unless things have changed and I missed the memo, Manley Labs also builds the GML (George Massenburg Labs) gear as well. And George Massenburg is another one of those folks I have nothing but admiration and respect for. We're talking about gear that is as good as it gets here, but definitely not a Neve type preamp.

If you're happy with the Waves for Neve style EQ and compression, then the mic preamp / input signal path is where I'd look to next. I was just asked if I wanted to do a review of the AMS-Neve 8801, and I'm looking forward to checking that out. Might be something you might want to look into, but I haven't heard it yet... :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tracking has been a prob for me recently, because I travel a lot and my setup has to be portable(Macbook Pro, Liquid Mix, etc. ) Mixing has been awesome, but tracking has been inconsistent. I definately need a portable solution for that. Thing is, I only get one carry on bag and I need something small enough to fit in my laptop bag so I'm not on pins and needles waiting for my super mic pre to get through baggage claim safely.

Marshall, what are you using for an audio interface for your MacBook Pro?

If you need small / portable, the Rupert Neve Designs Portico line of stuff that Ken mentioned would be good to check out. The have a two channel half-rack pre, and also EQ's, etc.

Another high performance line of small sized gear is made by www.fmraudio.com - their products are 1/3 rack space and yet still sound very good. A RNP (two channel mic pre), RNC AND RNLA could probably all fit into side pockets of a laptop bag and would provide you with two good mic preamps, and both neutral AND "colorful" stereo compressors for around a grand (USD) total.

• Members

For my audio interface I'm using Saffire LE, pretty satisfied with it atm, it seems to be cleaner than the Konnect 24D that I had before it, but I really liked the 24D's size and the way it fit in my bag perfectly, the Saffire is a bit thick. I've been getting a lot of compliments on my mixing lately so I'm not too worried about that, but like I said tracking is a concern.

Archived