Which FMR audio compressor for bass guitar?

• Members

I have an RNP and RNC I use in my home studio. I used to use the RNC with my ampeg SVTIII pro bass amp in the look and it worked well.

I am playing more bass again and am searching for a compressor. I saw that mark released the RNLA, which is supposed to be a more colored version of the RNC. Which would be best for my application?

I want the compressor to add sustain, punch, and even out the attack a bit.

I tend to prefer the sound of the RNLA for tracking bass. So much so that I hardly ever track bass guitar without one anymore. The two FMR compressors really do different things / sound different (with the RNLA being more colored sounding), and adding a RNLA to your current gear list would be a good addition IMO. It's a great product. :cool:

Thanks for the response Phil, I was hoping you would respond as you seem to love the RNLA.

Does your recommendation change for live use? I am on a recording break right now, I hope to get back to it in a few months.

I've never used it live, but I'm sure it would serve fine in that capacity.

It really comes down to tone and dynamics control. If you're looking for more transparent compression, the RNC would be a better choice. If you're looking for a little color and attitude, then the RNLA is the one to check out. Both are excellent - they just have different timbres.

• Members

I've been using the RNLA on bass all the time lately, even started tracking vocals with it... If you're curious, go to my MySpace page and listen to a song I demo'd last night - it's called "My Dear" -

http://www.myspace.com/johnpbarton

Bass chain was: Fender Jazz Bass -> SansAmp Bass DI -> Great River Preamp -> RNLA -> MOTU828

Vocal chain: Shure SM7b -> Great River Preamp -> RNLA -> MOTU828

• Members

I don't usually compress bass while recording - I go back and add compression after tracking. That's just a personal preference. :)

But, my live rig is a GenzBenz GBE-600 with an RNC in the loop, and it sounds fantastic. :thu: I haven't used the RNLA, and I'm sure it sounds very nice too, but you can't go wrong with an RNC on bass. It's just a quality compressor.

• Members

I don't usually compress bass while recording - I go back and add compression after tracking. That's just a personal preference.
:)

But, my live rig is a GenzBenz GBE-600 with an RNC in the loop, and it sounds fantastic.
:thu:
I haven't used the RNLA, and I'm sure it sounds very nice too, but you can't go wrong with an RNC on bass. It's just a quality compressor.

Do you mind sharing your settings for your bass rig? Are you using normal mode or supernice mode?

• Members

Do you mind sharing your settings for your bass rig? Are you using normal mode or supernice mode?

I use normal mode, attack at .6, release at 1.0, ratio about 4:1, gain at 0, and then set the threshold where it only comes on when I start to dig in. That changes depending on if I'm using my St. Blues P/J bass (passive) or my Warwick Corvette Standard (active). I've been very pleased with the results ever since I added the RNC to my signal chain.

• Members

I use normal mode, attack at .6, release at 1.0, ratio about 4:1, gain at 0, and then set the threshold where it only comes on when I start to dig in. That changes depending on if I'm using my St. Blues P/J bass (passive) or my Warwick Corvette Standard (active). I've been very pleased with the results ever since I added the RNC to my signal chain.

Pretty much what I was using but I had the release lower and the attack a touch higher. I like running the release lower, that helps with the distortion. Have you tried super nice mode?

I was using super nice mode at practice I think I actually prefer that mode as it was more transparent, but I am not really getting the punch as much as I would like...

• Members

I haven't tried supernice mode, no. I seem to vaguely recall trying it out when I first started using the RNC and not being able to tell much of a difference between the two, really. But I could be remembering wrong - it's been quite a while.

• Members

I haven't tried supernice mode, no. I seem to vaguely recall trying it out when I first started using the RNC and not being able to tell much of a difference between the two, really. But I could be remembering wrong - it's been quite a while.

For bass and vocals, I usually use the RNC in Super Nice Mode, as I noticed a pretty big difference. It's smoother and the compression artifacts are much less.

I own both an RNC and an RNLA, and for bass, I'd probably be more inclined to use the RNLA more because of some of the nice coloration that it imparts, for rock and some pop. But if you want a cleaner sound, the RNC might be what you want.

I haven't used my RNLA very much, but with the RNC, if you hear distortion in the bass, back off on the attack. The RNC is designed to be very very fast, fast enough that it'll cause distortion in the bass if you're not careful. It's not an anomaly with the unit. There's nothing wrong with it. Mark designed it to be fast, something most compression designers don't do. Just back off on the attack setting until the distortion disappears, and you'll be fine.

• Members

I record a lot of acoustic bass and the RNC is priceless. It smooths out any peaks and helps a lot especially with novice bass players..

I would think the RNC (instead of the RNLA) would be the thing to reach for with acoustic bass. Super great for clean stuff. I just can't believe how good the FMR stuff is for so little money.

• Members

I would think the RNC (instead of the RNLA) would be the thing to reach for with acoustic bass. Super great for clean stuff. I just can't believe how good the FMR stuff is for so little money.

Well.. I don't have an RNLA and must "make do" with my RNC. But it has proven to be a trememdous tool for acoustic bass.

Some basses are recorded with a single LD mic, some have pickups that I run through a preamp and then into the RNC..and on some I use both.

The RNC gives a nice natural, balanced, smooth sound to the acoustic regardless of using an LD mic or a pickup. One of the best purchases I have made and it gets used on every single project.

Archived