Stupid condenser mic question

• Members

You should mention what model it is, and whether it has multiple polar positions, all that.

But that said, can't you tell? When you sing in one side, is it louder than the other? If so, you sing in the louder side. If not, then it really doesn't matter.

• Members

You should mention what model it is, and whether it has multiple polar positions, all that.

But that said, can't you tell? When you sing in one side, is it louder than the other? If so, you sing in the louder side. If not, then it really doesn't matter.

I forget the model number. It doesn't have multiple polar positions. The problem is - I'm not sure I can hear a difference from one side to the other.

• Members

Yes, that's the general rule.

If you can't hear a difference, is it possible that it's a fixed omni? I suppose that's somewhat unusual for a LDC, but I dunno, I own two fixed omnis, so for me I guess it's not that weird.

Anyway, try having someone want around the mic very slowly while singing the same thing over and over. If you can't hear the difference, then I wouldn't worry about it. Just have the person sing in to the label side, like Syn says, and fogetaboutit.

Yes, it's usually got a logo or some sort of indicator (dot, etc) to show you which side is the front.

There's got to be some sort of markings on it that will tell you the model number - once we have that, we can accurately answer your question, but without that, it is going to be hard to say with any certainty. I have a couple of CAD microphones with the switches on the front, but there are other models with the switches on the rear IIRC...

What color is the mic? What type of switches are on it - no pattern selector, right? How about a pad? High pass filter? Can you post a picture of it or give us some kind of description? I'd like to help, but I need a bit more to go on. :)

AFAIK, CAD doesn't make a large diaphragm, omni only mic.

• Members

Yes, it's usually got a logo or some sort of indicator (dot, etc) to show you which side is the front.

There's got to be some sort of markings on it that will tell you the model number - once we have that, we can accurately answer your question, but without that, it is going to be hard to say with any certainty. I have a couple of CAD microphones with the switches on the front, but there are other models with the switches on the rear IIRC...

What color is the mic? What type of switches are on it - no pattern selector, right? How about a pad? High pass filter? Can you post a picture of it or give us some kind of description? I'd like to help, but I need a bit more to go on.
:)

The only CAD mic I can think of that would sound roughly the same front or back would be a Trion ribbon and there are no switches on that mic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

What color is the mic? What type of switches are on it - no pattern selector, right? How about a pad? High pass filter? Can you post a picture of it or give us some kind of description? I'd like to help, but I need a bit more to go on.
:)

It's a CAD M 177

• Members

Yeah... I remember one year at a bluegrass concert when the stage monkeys had tne LD mic pointed toward the audience. People kept yelling at the band because they couldn't hear them...and every time the sound guy turned up the mic it produced massive feedback.

It took them forty five minutes to realize they had the mic placed backwards.

It can happen to anyone.

Archived