Best microphones to record electric guitar

• Members

For the $100 and less range, I like the Audix I5. A little more cash, and the SM7 is one of my go-to mics for guitar. The Sennheiser MD421 is sometimes great as well - I usually go SM7 for cleaner stuff, 421 for distorted. The Audio Technica 4047 is an inexpensive LDC that's just an all around great instrument mic. A favorite of mine for cleaner guitars. Jump up a little more in price and you've got ribbons - the Crowley and Tripp Naked Eye and Royer 121 are the two I've used most. I've got a Naked Eye in the Swap Meet thread right now, BTW.

• Members

When are people going to stop this kind of post. There simply isnt a best mic for anything. It all depends on the guitar, the player, the amp, the room, the style of music, the way the other tracks around it sound, the way you feel on any given day and above all the way the entrails fall. Sure a super posh german condenser will sound good but so can a flaky 57. Have a few mics and try them all and then spin the magic bottle. I currently love my AEA r84 but next week who knows?
Have a look at www.recording-microphones.co.uk for some words of wisdom.

Phil Abramson

• Members
When are people going to stop this kind of post. There simply isnt a best mic for anything. It all depends on the guitar, the player, the amp, the room, the style of music, the way the other tracks around it sound, the way you feel on any given day and above all the way the entrails fall. Sure a super posh german condenser will sound good but so can a flaky 57. Have a few mics and try them all and then spin the magic bottle. I currently love my AEA r84 but next week who knows?

Have a look at
www.recording-microphones.co.uk
for some words of wisdom.

Phil Abramson

Ban in 5, 4, 3, ...

Maybe not a ban, but a warning - I appreciate the link, but it comes across a bit as spam - especially since every single post you've made Phil, mentions that site, and four out of your five posts are new (and identical) threads pointing people to that same site...

We welcome your participation, and I'm sure the site will be of interest to some of the other forum members, but please try to discuss other things besides just that site, and please don't crosspost. Thanks. :)

Archived