Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell. Any good on a Les Paul?

• Members

Could someone tell me how they like/dislike the Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell? I would like to use it in the neck position of my Les Paul for clean arpeggios and chord work to make the guitar more versatile and alleviate the need to get a second guitar for cleans. Based on what I've read this is looking more and more like it might be perfect for what I'm trying to do.

Here's what I would like to do:

Add an RMC or Ghost acoustic bridge saddle pick up system to the Les Paul, so that when switching over to the neck position for cleans I will also be getting an acoustic sound which I am hoping will blend well with this Humbucker. I am also putting in a Super Distortion at the bridge for heavy rock distortion. Tell me what you guys think of this set up? Would it be a good combination? My main concern is that, since the Super Distortion is a relatively hot pick up, I am wondering that if switching from the bridge position to the neck position may cause a suden drop in volume. Will I be O.K without having to roll off the pot?

• Members

Originally posted by silverkw

It sounds like the SD Jazz. That's all I could say.
:)

in any case, it's pretty nice sounding.

I prefer the Duncan.

Maybe it was the guitar,but I really didn't care for the HFH.

Good tone,but not quite enough output(for me,anyway).

• Members

I've used this pickup and it's really great for what it does. It's not meant to sound like a humbucker at all. It sounds more like a single coil with slightly more kick to it. Very bright and clear. Excellent for cleans....VERY nice and chimey.

Again, very bright and clear..but don't expect a big bottom end like a humbucker.

I recommend not putting it too close to the strings....it seems to sustain better that way.

I don't think there should be too much if any of a volume mismatch between the Super Distortion(another favorite of mine) and this pickup. I personally htink the Super Distortion sounds a little better away from the strings too.

Another single-coil'ish pickup I want to try is the Eric Johnson neck model......it's new and I don't know much about it really.

• Members

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the help on this. Now I'm thinking I might just through a Super Distortion and maybe a PAF Joe at the neck and splitting the humbuckers in parallel, so that I can get some clean "out of phase" middle/neck single coil tones. The probelm is that splitting the coils gives you about half the volume and because of the nature of a set neck shorter scale Les Paul I don't think it will exactly Strat like.

Archived