Recording guitarists

• Members

There's no way those direct outs actually sounded good. I hear a lot of things people think sound good but are not--especially guitar sounds

Learn how to capture the sound out of the cab. Do the work and you reap the benefits. There is no way Marshall and its cab could ever sound worse than the DO's--even when mic'd wrong.

If possible, you should get some physical separation for those wires - line level vs mic level vs speaker level stuff should ideally NOT share the same snake. Same patch panel can work, but I like to keep a bit of distance between those three types of cables - especially the speaker level cable - whenever possible. :)

• Moderators

I had my doubts at first and when I tried it just out of chance and a suggestion it turned out to be brilliant.

Yeah the cab will go through the snake and into the head.

Got to get some XLR adaptors but thats no problem

Snakes without special cabling for speakers will have all low voltage shielded cable in them. You don't want to run speaker level voltage through those cables for the same reason you wouldn't connect your speaker cabinet to your amp head with a guitar cable; the cable just isn't rated for voltages that high.

But yeah, it will work - for a while.

Terry D.

• Members

Snakes without special cabling for speakers will have all low voltage shielded cable in them. You don't want to run speaker level voltage through those cables for the same reason you wouldn't connect your speaker cabinet to your amp head with a guitar cable; the cable just isn't rated for voltages that high.

But yeah, it will work - for a while.

Yep. Thankfully, long speaker cables with 1/4 plugs are not that hard to find.