Need help hanging blanket

• Moderators

Drywall anchors and those spring clips you get at Home Depot. Hang as my anchors as you want around the room then "clip" the blanket up wherever you need it. Take it down when you want too!

I use those clips and mic stands to create a nice super dead vocal booth sometimes... don't get the little ones, get the larger style.

• Members

Or make a PVC frame and use spring clips:

http://www.palmcitystudios.com/timobrien/music/soundbooth/simplesoundbooth.html

The old trick is to use a couple of heavy-duty screw-eyes to make a triangle of rope in the corner of the room and then hang heavy moving blankets using spring clips.

My solution above is a bit more portable and can give you a full booth for about $60 or so.

• Members

A buddy of mine bought a bunch of moving blankets off ebay and hung them all around his practice area. I believe he found a way to install a bunch of brass eyelets in the blankets and then hung them using heavy-duty hooks. I know it was a pain to put in the eyelets because he bitched about it for weeks afterward. You have to punch out the proper-sized hole in the blanket first, then you place the eyelet halves and swage them with a special tool. A lot of work, but once they're in, they ain't goin' anywhere.

• Members

I went to Ace hardware and they built me a quilt hanger for $8 Two pieces of wood each 76 inches long which is the width of the blanket with three bolts attached to the two pieces of wood. Two identical wood pieces 76 iches long are fastened by three bolts. You fit the blanket between the the two pieces of wood and screw the bolts tight to squeeze and hold the blanket. When you want to remove the blanket you loosen the squeeze on the bolts. I pounded two nails in the wall and two anchors to the pieces of wood and attached it to the wall. It hangs like a picture. Works great. I am using one blanket. Does the blanket face the front of the vocalist or the back to absorb the sound? How many blankets you recommend? I have run out of walls to attach furthur blankets?

• Members

Two identical wood pieces 76 iches long are fastened by three bolts. You fit the blanket between the the two pieces of wood and screw the bolts tight to squeeze and hold the blanket. When you want to remove the blanket you loosen the squeeze on the bolts. I pounded two nails in the wall and two anchors to the pieces of wood and attached it to the wall. It hangs like a picture. Works great.

That's a totally kick ass idea!

I have a blanket I hang for doing vocals. It hangs from the ceiling in stead of the wall. I have a sewing machine so I just sewed on little loops on to the endge of the blanket. Hangs from cup hook thingies from the ceiling. You could easily do the same, but use some other kind of hook on the wall. But I must say, the idea above is super cool.

Some very clever ideas suggested in this thread - bravo! :philthumb:

No time to build a frame, or otherwise hit the hardware store, but need to get a blanket hung around something? Try a few boom arm microphone stands, with the booms set to a "T" shape. Drape the blanket over the top of the stands / boom arms...

As far as where to put the blanket, it's really up to you. Behind the singer will help keep bounce from the back wall down, while to the front and especially the sides will help with off-axis pickup and coloration. For those who are putting them up on the walls instead of stands, try to get at least a few inches of space between the wall and blanket if you can.

A few moving blankets are always great to have around the studio. They're inexpensive, readily available and you never know when one might come in handy for draping over a piano or kick drum, or cutting a bit of room reflection. :) But they do have their limitations. Don't expect them to have much effectiveness for isolation or for absorbing bass frequencies.

• Moderators

A buddy of mine bought a bunch of moving blankets off ebay and hung them all around his practice area. I believe he found a way to install a bunch of brass eyelets in the blankets and then hung them using heavy-duty hooks. I know it was a pain to put in the eyelets because he bitched about it for weeks afterward. You have to punch out the proper-sized hole in the blanket first, then you place the eyelet halves and swage them with a special tool. A lot of work, but once they're in, they ain't goin' anywhere.

That's exactly what I did. Works great.

I also got a pair of the aluminum crossbars from Ultimate, and put some 4" bolts thru them, and can use my speaker stands for portable, bendable blanket stands.

MG

• Members

I went to Ace hardware and they built me a quilt hanger for $8 Two pieces of wood each 76 inches long which is the width of the blanket with three bolts attached to the two pieces of wood. Two identical wood pieces 76 iches long are fastened by three bolts. You fit the blanket between the the two pieces of wood and screw the bolts tight to squeeze and hold the blanket. When you want to remove the blanket you loosen the squeeze on the bolts. I pounded two nails in the wall and two anchors to the pieces of wood and attached it to the wall. It hangs like a picture. Works great. I am using one blanket. Does the blanket face the front of the vocalist or the back to absorb the sound? How many blankets you recommend? I have run out of walls to attach furthur blankets?

• Members

• Members

Tim says "Or make a PVC frame and use spring clips: " Do I use the large 3" metal spring clips to hold the blankets or the 2" non-metal clips? Also you mentioned Point the back towards a bookcase full of books .In my situation it would be a case full of CD's ? Is that ok or should the back be against a corner?

• Members

Look at the photos on the page link; it shows you everything. Whatever clips will hold the blankets around whatever you're using to hold them up...

CD cases are NOT absorbent like books. If anything CD cases will cause you more reflections. You want MASS and soft non-uniform surfaces.

• Members

Tim said "CD cases are NOT absorbent like books. If anything CD cases will cause you more reflections. You want MASS and soft non-uniform surfaces."

How about I if hang another moving blanket where the CD cases or in your case Books are? What do you think of this idea? This will give me alot more absorption.

Brian