So I got pro tools...

• Members

Hi people... so... i got pro tools. I got a Mbox 2... i sold my old interface and everything.

A couple of questions:

1. Any good site to go for pro tools users (apart from digidesign of course :D)

2. Any good free resources on the web? plug ins etc...

3. Is there any special tweak (apart from buffer size), or trick to achieve the lowest latency with virtual instruments?

Thanks guys...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

for plugins try

massey plugins

Thanks those are the ones i was looking for... i couldnt remember the name :) He has some free ones right? in their page they dont specify wich are free

I found the ASIO driver is installed when you install PT great.

I am looking at all the free RTAS plugs at dontcrack.com but i would like to know what is worth trying first...

All the Massey plug ins come in free versions... the downside is that you can't save settings with the free versions, but they're otherwise uncrippled.

One of the best investments you can make IMHO is to buy a copy of the Fxpansion VST -> RTAS wrapper. It's around $100, but it will allow you to use the vast majority of the countless VST plug-ins with your Pro Tools LE software.

Here's a few good free VST's to get you started. You can find many more over at www.kvraudio.com and at www.sadglad.com/freevstplugins6.html

TriTone Digital has a few freebies IIRC, as does Voxengo and Kjaerhusaudio.

http://www.voxengo.com/group/freevst/

http://www.tritonedigital.com/

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/products.php

As far as using your MBox with other audio applications, as long as you install the ASIO drivers for it, you should be able to do so just fine. :)

Thanks guys...

Isnt the VST wrapper too CPU expensive?

So you will loose your setting every time you open the session with the free massey plugs?

Hey Ken, how do you use that plug? i Used to have it as VST but never used it

There's really hardly any CPU overhead with the FXpansion wrapper. I highly recommend it!

Yes, you lose your settings every time you close the session with the free versions of the Massey plug ins. You can process the audio through them (bus the track through the plug in and re-record it to a new track) and get around it that way, but if you close the session down, the plug in itself will revert to the default settings the next time you open the session. That's the major difference between the free and "paid for" versions.

• Members

Hey Ken, how do you use that plug? i Used to have it as VST but never used it

I use it either to sort of "eff up" sounds or as filter sweeps. Phil heard one of my recordings of a drum break filtering and asked how I did it. I processed the drums twice, doing a sweep manually with Frohmage, and then hard-panned them. Sounds great in the right instance. I've also used them for vocals, lining 'em up just after the actual "full-bodied" unadulterated vocal, and added some reverb to it so it's in the background and sounds odd and ghostly. That kind of thing. Depends on what you're into.

• Moderators

The vst wrapper is essential. Lot's of good free stuff from Digital Fishphones that's vst but works great after the wrap.

Massey is way beyond worth the price. Great compressor.

And don't forget the series III of the included Digirack plugins. The eqs are plenty good. Zero vibe but high quality and fairly invisible.

The Tritone stuff is cool. I love their Phase adjustment plug...

• Members

I've used the TriTone stuff before (the demo stuff) and thought it was good although I felt that the interface for the EQ was difficult to use in terms of layout (conceptually, it's easy, it's just more difficult to adjust).

I've heard nothing but good things about the Massey plug-ins.

• Members

is pro tools a cpu hog?

I am running it on a p4 3.2 Ghz, 512 RAM (i know i am supposed to have 768), and it keeps giving a message that interrups took too long or something like that and recording will stop...

Then i realize that in the playback engine it says 2 processors, and when i see the performance tab in the applet that appears when you press crtl+alt+del it appears like if my processor was 2 cores... there are no p4 2 core, are there? I wonder if this is some configuration error that is screwing protools performance, or are those 256 MB of ram missing that critical? :poke:

:wave:

• Members

is pro tools a cpu hog?

I am running it on a p4 3.2 Ghz, 512 RAM (i know i am supposed to have 768), and it keeps giving a message that interrups took too long or something like that and recording will stop...

The first thing that I see that sends up my red flags is the RAM. I think you'd really need to have 1G minimum to get just about anything done, 2G ideally.

Now this is, forgive the pun, comparing apples to, uh, PCs, but I'm running a really old Mac G4 with a 1.5GHz processor and 1G of RAM (I think it was), and I get 24 tracks with tons of plug-ins and reverb plug-ins, and the system doesn't choke at all.

• Members

One of the best investments you can make IMHO is to buy a copy of the
Fxpansion VST -> RTAS wrapper
. It's around $100, but it will allow you to use the vast majority of the countless VST plug-ins with your Pro Tools LE software.

I have to agree with that 100%. not only do fxpansion make a wonderful drum kit this wrapper is worth its price for sure...

• Members

The first thing that I see that sends up my red flags is the RAM. I think you'd really need to have 1G minimum to get just about anything done, 2G ideally.

Now this is, forgive the pun, comparing
apples
to, uh, PCs, but I'm running a really old Mac G4 with a 1.5GHz processor and 1G of RAM (I think it was), and I get 24 tracks with tons of plug-ins and reverb plug-ins, and the system doesn't choke at all.

Agree - often a RAM upgrade gives a huge boost... this will most likely be much more apparent when Leopard is more common... not only supported but active vendor development for 64 bit.. (i.e. digi making 64 bit drivers.)

• Members

Now this is, forgive the pun, comparing
apples
to, uh, PCs, but I'm running a really old Mac G4 with a 1.5GHz processor and 1G of RAM (I think it was), and I get 24 tracks with tons of plug-ins and reverb plug-ins, and the system doesn't choke at all.

I was planing on getting a new computer any way, once my credit card gets better from the punishment i have been giving to it :D

I dont really want to spend in more ram for this computer... i guess ill have to reinstall cubase and work with cubase a bit more :cry: I have been able to get fairly complex cubase+reason (rewire) projects in this machine...

That is a modest computer by modern standars ken, It is great the results you can achieve. I was planning on building my PC maybe i should consider a mac... :) I guess those gorgeus new iMacs would do fine with an external drive right?

Archived