I went and done it: Black Lion 002 Mod

I had a similar experience the first time I opened one of my LE projects up in HD and played it back. Whether it sounded better (clearer, more defined, better stereo image and separation) due to the better converters (as I suspect) or due to the differences (if any) between RTAS and TDM plug-ins, I couldn't say for certain without further testing, but there was definitely a difference / improvement.

Changing converters to "better" ones isn't going to change what's already recorded, but you will most likely hear a difference on playing things back; if for no other reason than the improved D/A converters, and possibly (as in the case of the Black Lion mod, IIRC) better analog signal path.

I'm glad to hear you're liking the improvement Spencer. :cool: Have you tried recording anything new with it yet?

• Members

Oh yes, when I mean't "better" I meant "I could hear all the flaws." There isn't a magic little man in the BLA mod tweaking my mixes!

Oh, well than count me out of the Black Lion game. I guess the magic little man must live inside a Brauner microphone or a Daking preamp, then. I will find him! ;)

Seriously, I remain very ineterested but a bit queasy about sending my Delta 1010 off for a Black Lion mod.

• Members

I have started recording my new old gibson j45 and I confess to be working a little harder to get a good sound (found it but it took an hour or so). I'm not sure if it's because I've never recorded this guitar (probable) or because everything is so clear in my headphones I'm getting picky.

Spencer

• Members

I have started recording my new old gibson j45 and I confess to be working a little harder to get a good sound (found it but it took an hour or so). I'm not sure if it's because I've never recorded this guitar (probable) or because everything is so clear in my headphones I'm getting picky.

Spencer

I know what you're talking about. My cheap acoustic > Rode K2 > Grace 101 sounded pretty good before the mods. Nothing spectacular but it worked. Now it sounds like a cheap acoustic > Rode K2 > Grace 101. What I mean by that is you can hear how boxy and cheap the acoustic really is. Guess I need a better guitar. And yeah the new pre's imo are quite usable. Overall I think it's one of the best improvements one can make to the Digi 002 studio. Definitely worth every penny.

• Members

I just upgraded to a digi003 from a 001 always thought about getting the mod, never did. i really just got no money for it, but I really do want to get my AI-3 Modded its cheap enough to dream about for now and possibly do it when i get back on my feet *broken leg*. but has anyone had any of the other mods for the 002 or 003 such as just the clock and converters? i.e. not the tweakhead. i feel like if you record well with what you got and dont have an iminent need for the extra headroom is it really worth the extra $2-300?

• Members

sorry, i was talking about the tweakhead mod as spencer noted. it says they make a new linear power supply which increases headroom by 12db. if you don't know what headroom is it's essentially more overall volume to play with in the digital realm. it would effectively make my digi003 12db louder when my master fader pushes 0db than it currently does(at least thats the claim). sorry if thats confusing, feel free to chime in if you have a better way to explain it.

• Members

A friend of mine just had the Black Lion mod done to his 002, and he heard the differences right away playing back a pro tools session that he had recorded before.

I myself have a tricked out 003 system with external a/d and d/a converters, an external master clock, and an array of excellent external mic pres. This is the more expensive route, but yes I could take these pieces of gear to another system if I needed to.

Like someone mentioned earlier, you can indeed get HD quality out of an LE system.

Jon

• Members

The down side is that in 5 years the 002 isn't supported anymore so the $$ are gone with the unit.

External stuff ya more $$ upfront but you get to keep it if you like it!

But there is no right answer...

For me I'd have to ship my Fw 1884 away for 2 months!

Ye ha.

later

• Members

Yeah, eventually you get something new and the modded thing is obsolete. But if you can keep the thing running for a five years, maybe it's worth it. The mod isn't *super* expensive, after all, and a Rosetta 800 ain't cheap. I chose to go the Rosetta 800 / external mic preamp route because there's no way in hell I'm going to bother modding an 001. That's TOO old to for me to even consider that!!!

• Members

Right, exactly. If you keep an old machine around, and keep it running well, you're fine. I also have 6.4.

I know I keep saying this, but I just can't stand fiddling constantly. If something is working great, I'm happy to keep using it. I'm getting really incredible audio out of my rig because I'm bypassing its converters and mic preamps...and of course, PT works fine.

• Members

Okay a little issue today:

I'm getting that click sound and on and off thing on the new old 002 that sounds a lot like the power harness issue that the 002 is prone to. I had the harness replaced a couple of years ago, so could it be that again? I emailed Black Lion tonight so we'll see how fast they respond and what they say!

Spencer

Spencer, did BLA do any mods to the PS on your unit? If so, let them handle it. If not, you should contact Digidesign about a new PS and harness. You can also try cleaning the contacts on the pins that the harness plugs into with some DeOxit - make sure the unit is powered down and unplugged before attempting any of this though!

Archived