Question regarding studio monitors - Audix 1a

• Members

Hi, I have a set of Audix 1a monitors. I love the way they sound just to listen to them, however, lately I have noticed that I have to be careful not to leave too much of the high frequency spectrum out of the mix, because the monitors have these very nice sounding, but apparently quite loud silk tweeters in them. I find if I listen to a mix at home or in my car, it doesn't sound as bright as I thought it did when I mixed it on the 1a's. Is this a common occurence with nearfield monitors? I have my 1a's on the back of my console desk, and I had been using them turned slightly inward, although yesterday I turned them so they are facing straight forward, but I haven't had a chance to mix anything through them since I moved them yesterday. I'm just a bit puzzled as to what I need to do here, as I like the fact that these monitors don't make my ears tired, I can have them on for hours at a time and even if I'm mixing fairly loud they don't bother me. That said, the fact that I'm now constantly second-guessing myself on mixes now makes me wonder if I shouldn't get another set of reference monitors to use along with these.... What say you all?

• Members

They're not new, I've had them for a few years, but they exhibit this to a degree no matter where I have them set up, although, they are a bit higher above my head now than they used to be, which seems to make it worse. I really like the fact that I can use these for a long time with no fatigue, but this is frustrating me, to say the least....

Archived