Looking for good vocal mic

• Members

just to chime in on the NTK; I've been using one on a hi-baritone singer (think Jim Morrison) with excellent results IMO. Also have used it for vocals with my wife with no sibilance issues. And I got the best results I've ever achieved on a high end classical guitar. Note that this is just in my basement hobby studio, not a 'real' studio with great pre's (I use an ART D/IO). Samples are in my sig, notablly the Doors covers and White Bird which has my wife's vocals and nylon guitar.

Too many choices; tough on the brain.

• Members

Indeed, there's so many out there, so many choices, I have no idea. I hope the Sam Ash or Guitar Center in my area will let me play with them. I have a friend who worked at a Sam Ash who said their return policy was pretty good.

Any more suggestions before my mind pops? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You need to place a metal pop screen a minimum of 2-3" away from the mic diaphragm for best results. The way they work is not by "blocking" wind blasts like a nylon screen, but by diverting the blast away from the mic via their louvered design. If you place a metal screen too close to the diaphragm, the wind blast isn't going to be fully diverted, and you'll still have problems with plosives.

What technique is used if you want to get a nice proximity effect, especially for lower voice registers, but keeping the plosives to a minimum? Nylon in this case?

• Members

I suppose you could use a nylon screen. Or if a singer *really* knows what they are doing, you could try it without a screen, but have the singer sing ACROSS the mic, not singing directly into the mic, but having their breath move ACROSS the mic.

Archived