What sits where in a mix?

• Members

Here is how I start for better or worse and go from there -

Drums -
Kick - center
hi hat - just a bit right 5-25% (or left would work)
snare - center to just a bit right 0-15%(or left, generally with hi hat +/- 10%)
toms - depends on number of toms but i try to space them out from about 60% L to 60% R on a smaller kit, and more like 80% on a larger kit. usually go from audiences perspective
ride/crash/splash/whater cymbals - same as toms pretty much - depends more on overhead placement though

Rhythm Guitar - usually go right about 30-70% for 2 or 3 guitars
Lead Guitar - varies a lot on arrangement - center/left (opposite of rhythm guitar) 0-70%
Piano - anywhere - can put it in a wide stereo and dead center if its pretty important or needs to take up some space, or can pan fairly hard in one direction.. good idea to seperate it from guitar if applicable
Bass - dead center
(Vocals - center if 1, if multiples then many possibilities)

I see you have 2 guitars with a total of 4 guitar tracks. is guitar 1 the same track cloned and panned or the same guitarist and line recorded twice?

I agree pretty much completely with those above that said it is *generally* more desirable to double-track rather than clone the track. but might be worth noting that these are really 2 pretty different sounds so it cant hurt to be familiar with both techniques.

Archived