Ash vs Alder bodies?

jmingo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
2 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

I spent a loooong time staring at my old ash Strat when I took it back to bare wood and French polished it. :D

20200424_104859.jpg

That's what a buddy of mines 1978 start looks like. It's a bit heavier that most strats I have played.

• Members

Pickups are very sensitive to certain woods.

I have a H,H,H 1984 Randy Rhoads / Jackson, Made of Ash, a Seymour Duncan JB and a Bare Knuckle Nail Bomb pickups were simply not cutting it. Oddly, those pickups were too trebly , so I dropped in a Dragonfire Quad rail pickup and it worked out fine.

Some times, certain woods change with the volume changes. On tube amps, some tone woods compress differently when you raise the volume, increase the gain or both.

• Members
4 hours ago, AJ6stringsting said:

Pickups are very sensitive to certain woods.

I have a H,H,H 1984 Randy Rhoads / Jackson, Made of Ash, a Seymour Duncan JB and a Bare Knuckle Nail Bomb pickups were simply not cutting it. Oddly, those pickups were too trebly , so I dropped in a Dragonfire Quad rail pickup and it worked out fine.

Some times, certain woods change with the volume changes. On tube amps, some tone woods compress differently when you raise the volume, increase the gain or both.

You think it might be resonance related feedback properties?

• Members
On 4/24/2020 at 1:11 AM, 1001gear said:

You think it might be resonance related feedback properties?

I sound like an old superstitious Bluesman using this term .... It's has everything to do with the mojo / magic of the pickup.

Then , you have to consider the material the bridge and the nut is made of, the distance of the pickups from the bridge , the caps / pots and what kind of ohms / Henries are in the pickup ....

Archived