adat to pro tools

• Members

I started recording when the first cassetes multitrackers apeared. From there I went to ADATs and then to Pro Tools. I still have my 3 adats and Fostex 1624 in perfect working order for a total of 40 tracks of audio. Is there a way to get this tracks into Pro Tools for editing without losing syncronization? I have a Digi001 Pro Tools system and also have Jl Cooper Sync2 to keep the fostex running with the ADATs. I also have many productions on ADAT. Do you think I should dump the ADATs?

• Members

I would think if you have ADAT interfaces connected and the ADAT's sync'd up, you would be able to transfer the sync'd up ADAT tracks to Pro Tools fairly easily.

You don't necessarily need to sync Pro Tools to the ADATS, just sync them up, arm forty tracks in Pro tools and hit "record".

I think.. That's how I do it in Adobe Audition with my two ADAT's.

Easy way without using sync:

1. Record arm all of the ADAT's, and print a single click noise at the start of / right before the downbeat of each song, on to at least one track of each of the ADAT machines.

Use lightpipe to digitally transfer all the 4 ADAT tapes into PT, one at a time.

Visually line up the clicks you simultaneously recorded to each machine in PT. Once they're close, zoom way in and make sure you have them identical so they're in perfect sync. :wave:

One other consideration - PT LE can only play back 32 tracks simultaneously without the optional ($495 list) Music Production Toolkit, so if you want to edit and mix 4 ADAT decks worth of tracks, plus any additional tracks, I'd strongly recommend getting that optional software. It has lots of other cool / useful stuff in it too, such as multitrack Beat Detective, etc.

Archived