Are PRS guitars painted with nitrocellulose finish?

Rich

• Members

Originally posted by RaVenCAD

His opinion is that of a snob, Batboy.. He thinks his Gibson, being a nitro finish and sooooooooooooo expensive, is the be all end all of quality guitars.

And yet the American Deluxe Strat he is selling and American Deluxe Tele he just bought are both thick plasticy poly.....:D

I hate Nitro. Sticky ass crap. If I wanted my guitar finished in glue I'd pour Elmer's on it! :mad:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by BillyCorgan

This is what i think of this debate.

Gay%20Batman.jpg

So are you "officially" out of the closet yet? Because I know this guy named Steve who'd love to make a good wife out of you and is also in love with Billy Corgan! :D

• Members

His opinion is that of a snob, Batboy.. He thinks his Gibson, being a nitro finish and sooooooooooooo expensive, is the be all end all of quality guitars.

My opinion is this... Any tonal nuance lost by applying a poly finish can be restored with a properly used eq pedal. Changing the tubes or speaker in your amp or the pickups in the guitar does LOADS more to the tone of a guitar than the finish ever could. If you wanna argue that sustain is lost, I'll stand my poly dipped SZ520 up against anything anyone has got and see who's note dies first. That thing rings for days.

sorry, but you are clueless :idea:

There are tons of old nitro Gibsons and strats that have proven you wrong many times over..... :o

sorry.

• Members

Originally posted by Dr. Tweedbucket

sorry, but you are clueless
:idea:

There are tons of old nitro Gibsons and strats that have proven you wrong many times over.....
:o

sorry.

It's pretty funny that my Poly Singlecut killed my Nitro Les Pauls (3 of them) though. :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

And yet the American Deluxe Strat he is selling and American Deluxe Tele he just bought are both thick plasticy poly.....
:D

I hate Nitro. Sticky ass crap. If I wanted my guitar finished in glue I'd pour Elmer's on it!
:mad:

Poly is the sticky ass crap.

Maybe you should wash your hands now and then! :idea:

• Members

Poly is the sticky ass crap.

Maybe you should wash your hands now and then!

66 guitars later and the only guitar I've had an issue with stickiness was a Gibson Les Paul Standard LE!

• Members

here guys leeme do this for you and save some time:

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

is too

is not

is too

is not

is too

you're an idiot

you're a poopy head

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

66 guitars later and the only guitar I've had an issue with stickiness was a Gibson Les Paul Standard LE!

I had that problem with my '91 Standard.

It wasn't too bad but it can slow you down a little. The rest of my Gibsons were ok compared to that problem.

• Members

sorry, but you are clueless

There are tons of old nitro Gibsons and strats that have proven you wrong many times over.....
:o

sorry.

So you think the only think making those old Gibsons and strats better than today's gear is the finish? Wow, talk about clueless...

I'm NOT sorry, cuz the truth will set you free...

• Members

So you think the only think making those old Gibsons and strats better than today's gear is the finish? Wow, talk about clueless...

it's not any one thing, it's a lot of little things that add up

• Members

I didn't say the only think, now did I ? :)

:confused:

.... it ain't worth getting ruffled up over ..... enjoy your plastic guitar and I'll enjoy my wooden one :idea:

• Members

exactly, and the finish is the least of the factors that give an old guitar that elusive "mojo" we all want. Now if we were talking old violins or acoustic guitars, I'd agree that the finish does indeed play a major part in the tonal voice of the instrument. But not on an electric guitar..

• Members

exactly, and the finish is the least of the factors that give an old guitar that elusive "mojo" we all want. Now if we were talking old violins or acoustic guitars, I'd agree that the finish does indeed play a major part in the tonal voice of the instrument. But not on an electric guitar..

If you ever refinished a guitar and had to strip that thick plasticy crap off, you would never EVER want to recoat it with the same stuff again ( I am talking mainly of the poly finish Fender uses ) :(

.....and yes, nitro does make a difference in tone solid body guitars....... :o ..... whether you have a good ear for tone or not, I can't say ..... :confused:

• Members

My ear is just fine, thanks. I've played enough guitars over the years to realize that the finish doesn't make a tremendous difference in the tone. It does sound different, but different doesn't always mean bad OR good. No paint is going to take an otherwise excellent guitar and make it into crap, and vice versa.. Nitro finishes are not the source of mojo on vintage guitars. Yes, only a nitro finish will wear to give you the SRV effect on a guitar, but some people don't care about that. I'd rather have a '57 strat in pristine mint condition than one that looks like someone hit it with a belt sander.

• Members

My ear is just fine, thanks. I've played enough guitars over the years to realize that the finish doesn't make a tremendous difference in the tone. It does sound different, but different doesn't always mean bad OR good. No paint is going to take an otherwise excellent guitar and make it into crap, and vice versa.. Nitro finishes are not the source of mojo on vintage guitars. Yes, only a nitro finish will wear to give you the SRV effect on a guitar, but some people don't care about that. I'd rather have a '57 strat in pristine mint condition than one that looks like someone hit it with a belt sander.

Alot of people do like the aging effect that nitro gives a guitar..... and I think it does add to the mojo, along with worn hardware, aged wood ect....

Personally, I am like you and would rather have a pristine playing piece. :love:

Archived