Are PRS guitars painted with nitrocellulose finish?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

PRS uses polyurethane, not lacquer.

And my PRS singlecut has an awesome finish. I wouldnt say its extremely thick, but it certainly takes a beating. I play with a belt on always and the back of the guitar has yet to show any wear....

Maybe I should take a belt sander to it?? ;)

AJC

• Members

Originally posted by Rich

Thanks guys. For what you pay for a PRS, I'd expect a thin nitro finish on them. Maybe PRS and I just don't see eye to eye.
;)

Nitro = tone !! :idea:

Gibson knows this well :love:

Poly, ..... well ...... impedes tone slightly (guitar is sealed and can't breath) but looks better longer :)

• Members

Originally posted by Dr. Tweedbucket

Nitro = tone !!
:idea:

Gibson knows this well
:love:

Poly, ..... well ...... impedes tone slightly (guitar is sealed and can't breath) but looks better longer
:)

yeah yeah, thats the ticket

• Members

I believe that Poly may last longer, but when it gets old it clouds up, where as Nitro is more delicate but peals off in that SRV kind of way. Basically after 20 years or so, when old and f@#Ked up Nitro looks cooler.

• Members

:idea:In my opinion.........

Poly=finish on guitars that sound like a toy.

Nitro=finish on a guitar for a professional like Gibson custom shop LP's and Fender custom shop models.

• Members

Nitro=finish on a guitar for a professional like Gibson custom shop LP's and Fender custom shop models.

Production Gibsons get nitro too..... :o My $750 LP Jr has nitro, my production flying V and SGs are nitro :)

hi :)

• Members

I can't remember who did the study (Suhr?), but it was pretty definitively shown that finish THICKNESS has more to do with tonal variations than finish TYPE.

And they're spraying poly thinner and thinner every year, now that water-based finishes are gaining ground.

Larry

• Members

If you take 2 identical guitars and coat one in nitro and one in poly, you might hear a 2% tonal difference. That 2% difference isn't always a good thing either.

Wood in a kiln dried state doesn't "breathe" nor does it "eat". It is a solid mass of dead material. Poly does more to keep it stable than nitro ever could. The poly vs. nitro argument is about as idiotic as EVH's idea that boiling strings improves their tone.

• Members

While I am not disputing the possibility that finish thickness can effect the resonance of the body, to suggest that one factor of the numerous factors that comprise a guitars tone makes an instrument categorically better or worse than another is pretty absurd.

• Members

Originally posted by larryguitar

And they're spraying poly thinner and thinner every year, now that water-based finishes are gaining ground.

Larry

Yeah my Standard 24 nor my Singlecut feel like they've been dipped. It's an extremely thin coat.

• Members

Damn your opinion sucks. My Custom Shop Fender is Poly. Hell every guitar I own is Poly. Do Gretsch guitars suck too?

:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Damn your opinion sucks. My Custom Shop Fender is Poly. Hell every guitar I own is Poly. Do Gretsch guitars suck too?

:rolleyes:

His opinion is that of a snob, Batboy.. He thinks his Gibson, being a nitro finish and sooooooooooooo expensive, is the be all end all of quality guitars.

My opinion is this... Any tonal nuance lost by applying a poly finish can be restored with a properly used eq pedal. Changing the tubes or speaker in your amp or the pickups in the guitar does LOADS more to the tone of a guitar than the finish ever could. If you wanna argue that sustain is lost, I'll stand my poly dipped SZ520 up against anything anyone has got and see who's note dies first. That thing rings for days.