what gives Sm81's a run for there money but cheaper.

• Members

I am really hung up on getting a pair of SM81's, but really wondering if there is anything out there that is a little cheaper that really gives them a run for their money.. Also, I have seen these Sm81-LC's, not sure what they are or how they are different than regulars....anyone help a brotha out?

• Members

I see ALOT of SM81s on the used market these days; I've considered picking up a pair for myself. I've got a pair of the AT Pro 37s, which are a good bit cheaper but work the same terrain, thought I guess the AT 4041s are more direct competitors.

• Members

I believe they are of this technology though it does not say so on the shure web site.

From Wiki

An electret microphone is a relatively new type of capacitor microphone invented at Bell laboratories in 1962 by Gerhard Sessler and Jim West[1]. The externally-applied charge described above under condenser microphones is replaced by a fixed charge in an electret material. An electret is a ferroelectric material that has been permanently electrically charged or polarized. The name comes from electrostatic and magnet; a static charge is embedded in an electret by alignment of the static charges in the material, much the way a magnet is made by aligning the magnetic domains in a piece of iron. They are used in many applications, from high-quality recording and lavalier use to built-in microphones in small sound recording devices and telephones. Though electret microphones were once low-cost and considered low quality, the best ones can now rival capacitor microphones in every respect and can even offer the long-term stability and ultra-flat response needed for a measuring microphone. Unlike other capacitor microphones, they require no polarizing voltage, but normally contain an integrated preamplifier which does require power (often incorrectly called polarizing power or bias). This preamp is frequently phantom powered in sound reinforcement and studio applications. While few electret microphones rival the best DC-polarized units in terms of noise level, this is not due to any inherent limitation of the electret. Rather, mass production techniques needed to produce electrets cheaply don't lend themselves to the precision needed to produce the highest quality microphones.

• Members

I had a pair of SM81's I got for a very reasonable price. $260 for the pair.

I used them on a couple of sessions and sold them on Craigslist for $200 each a couple weeks later. They just didn't float my boat.

The Oktava MC-012's sounded better and my trusty old American made CAD small condenser mics (CM-17) were a lot better sounding..

• Members

Seriously, I was a major SM81 fan for decades. Then one day I did a gig and the local provider showed up with Samson CO2's in place of the 81's spec'd. They blew me away. I actually prefer them to SM81's. After hearing them, I then found out the price: $120....A PAIR!!!! With shock mounts!!!!

Don't listen to the price, listen to the mic. Smooth, silky top end, excellent bottom, and extremely accurate midrange. They are my choice for violins and violas now over SM81's.

For under $300 you can get a pair of the CL2's, which have really nice spider mount shock mounts, -10db pad, switchable HP filter and both omni and cardiod capsules.

Archived