Audio Technica AT2020: Good acoustic guitar mic?

• Members

:freak:I'm a young novice who just got his computer and gear set up and ready to go but still lacks an acoustic guitar microphone. I was told by an experienced home studio guy that the Audio Technica AT2020 is a good go for voice and acoustic guitar. Is it really? I'm also asking questions like this before I shell out my money.

:wave:please advise me.

• Members

If you search Guitar Jam for clips posted by Mystixboi1, you can hear a bunch of stuff he recorded with the AT2020. If he has any problems in his sound, I don't think it's the microphone. Or you can check him out here:
www.johnmendozamusic.com

Cheers,

Grits
:)

:thu: for the link. If he used the 2020 for acoustic on "Everything", wow.

• Members

So far I've used it on both electric guitar cabs and acoustic, and have been very satisfied with the results. With the acoustic I was told to keep it at least 12" away, or it can get boomy. Keeping that rule in mind my recordings came out very crisp, warm, and detailed. I had that pointed at the sound hole, and had an SM57 pointed at the 12th fret.

On my guitar cabs I've used it mostly at a 45 degree angle with the diaphragm pointed just past the edge of the dust cap, and it sounds clear, and ballsy.

• Members

:thu:
for the link. If he used the 2020 for acoustic on "Everything", wow.

I didn't mean to make that representation. If you send him a PM, I'm sure he'll be willing to send you a clip that he recorded with the AT2020. John is pretty nice like that.

This may clear things up: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26202398&postcount=54

:)

• Members

So far I've used it on both electric guitar cabs and acoustic, and have been very satisfied with the results. With the acoustic I was told to keep it at least 12" away, or it can get boomy. Keeping that rule in mind my recordings came out very crisp, warm, and detailed. I had that pointed at the sound hole, and had an SM57 pointed at the 12th fret.

On my guitar cabs I've used it mostly at a 45 degree angle with the diaphragm pointed just past the edge of the dust cap, and it sounds clear, and ballsy.

How far away if the SM57? That was the first microphone I ever bought and I'm buying a condenser because nothings loud enough for it. Are you putting through a beefy preamp?

• Members

How far away if the SM57? That was the first microphone I ever bought and I'm buying a condenser because nothings loud enough for it. Are you putting through a beefy preamp?

Nothing's loud enough for it? Hmmm, so far I've noticed the exact opposite.

If I get too close on my EV12L it paralyzes the poor hapless bastard. I've got to pull it back to around 1.5'"-2" off the grill or the needle on my pre stops moving. It seems my AT2020 actually takes the high volume close micing better than the SM57, and remains very clear and detailed doing it.

My Fanes are a bit more forgiving, but still if I get up too close on them I get all sorts of nasties, which I'm guessing are the mic's diaphragm being mercilessly pummeled by the transients the amp is spitting out.

It likes a little distance and/or angle in my experience so far. Pull it back and see how it works. At first I though I had {censored}ed up the mic, but then I picked it up and whistled into it, and it picked it up clear as a bell. That's when I realized I was simply hitting the mic with too many spl and too much dynamic range.

As for the mic pre, I'm running them through a M-Audio DMP3, and so far I am only starting to get my head around gain-structuring a little. I've got a long f'n way to go before I can even think about getting a good dirty tone without using compression, and multiple levels of eq. I dream of the day I can go in nearly naked on the input and get a good tone recorded.

• Members

I almost always mic the guitar at more than 12". I just think it sounds much better. I usually use two SDCs, although I occasionally use an LDC about two feet away, perpendicular to where the neck meets the body (12th fret).

• Members

In my experience, the AT2020 is really not capable of being boomy due to a low end roll off and fairly sizable presence peak. It is a crisp mic, but not harsh. As I've stated before, it has a fairly wide cardioid pattern so it will absolutely pick up the sound of the room you are recording in so if your room is a typical untreated 10 X 10ish bedroom, I wouldn't expect stellar results. However, this would be the case with any sensitive mic. If you're a diligent and frugal shopper, you can find them for $70 new, which is a steal in my opinion.

EDIT: BTW, the AT2020 is really a medium to small diaphragm condenser in a LDC casing. Which is part of the reason it shines in applications usual reserved for SDCs (like micing an acoustic).

Archived