Musicians friend sucks!!!

chu2

• Members
Originally posted by septopus

Guitar Center here in Tucson and in Scottsdale has always been great, courteous, fairly knowledgable, good prices and great return policy.

I would never compare those two stores to any Wal-Mart I've been to.

I havent been to the one in Tucson, but for the most part, I like the one in Scottsdale, its not to far away (thanks freeway) and the staff is pretty knowledgable

• Members

There's some good guys at my nearest GC.. Never had a problem.. I know what I'm looking for when I go in there. Nobody bothers me and tries to sell me stuff... and I've come to know a few of them.. they're always quick to help me with whatever I need.

Gotten a few good deals, as well.

Musicians Friend is great too.. I've ordered from there and called their customer support numerous times.. Never had a problem.

• Members
Originally posted by TomVanDeven

Nope! I think that store is great, especially the one in Toronto on Bloor St.

I bought a bunch of stuff from there, and rented even more. Dirt cheap prices, and the guys behind the desk are all really laid back and helpful.

Yeah if you are only talking about Canada. I once asked them do they carry THD and they were like whats that. But they are nice people though

• Members

McDonald's Sucks!!!

I hate that thing.

Horrible.

Good selection, crappy service by high school kids who don't know anything about cheeseburgers.

I walked in there once and a guy behind the counter asks me if I need help and I tell him I'm just looking at the pictures of their tasty burgers.

I start checking out some hamburgers, cheeseburgers, fries, etc.

The dude asks me if there's anything I'm looking for.

I tell him I'm just looking for something to blow my lunch money on and, since I'm not old enough to be considered as an experienced burger connoisseur, the dude tells me that the first thing I have to decide on is if I like the two bun Big n Tasty system or the three bun Big Mac system, while I'm standing right here staring at a DISTINCTLY TWO-BUN QUARTER POUNDER.

I almost told him that I prefer two-bun Whoppers and three-patty Wendy's Classic Triples, but I just walked out of the restaurant.

Plus the Michael McDonald playing in that place was annoying the heck out of me.

So McDonald's sucks, at least around here.

I'll be shopping at my tiny school cafeteria from now on, which I like much better.

Those ladies actually somewhat know what they're talking about.

LunchLadyLand.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by chu2

I hate that thing.

ESPECIALLY considering they own GC.

It's the wal-mart of music stores.

Horrible.

Good selection, crappy service by college kids who don't know anything about guitar.

I walked in there once and a guy walks up to me and asks me if I need help and I tell him I'm just looking.

I start checking out some teles, strats, etc.

The dude walks up to me and asks me if there's anything I'm looking for.

I tell him I'm just looking for something to blow my christmas money one and, since I'm not old enough to be considered as an experienced guitarist, the dude tells me that the first thing I have to decide on is if I like the two-pickup gibson system or the three pickup fender system, while I'm standing right here staring at a DISTINCLY TWO-PICKUP FENDER TELECASTER.

I almost told him that I perfer two-pikcup telecasters and three-pickup Black Beauty 'Pauls, but I just walked out of the store.

Plus the smoke on the water playing over the din in that place was annoying the heck out of me.

So GC sucks, at least around here.

And I don't like MF becase they support GC.

:mad:

I'll be shopping at my tiny local store from now on, which I like much better.

Those guys actually somewhat know what they're talking about.

:cool:

I luv happy stories.

• Members

Guitar Center is what it is - it is something like a music "super store". The specialize in having a a huge inventory of low and mid-price inventory. The cool thing is that most of their inventory is available for you to pick up and play. They have a smattering of used gear and a few high-end instruments that they (wisely) protect - you can play them, but you have to ask. It is a good place to try out different guitars, keyboards, and percussion. I go there every now and then and I do buy things there. Various family members play guitar, drums, piano... so a GC trip can be a fun for the whole family.
What GC doesn't specialize in is service. I can't imagine buying a high end instrument from them, nor can I imagine letting them service one. I am fortunate to live in an area that has many great local shops with talented and professional staffs who have built reputations on service - that is where I bought my Gibsons and tube amps.
I have bought things from MF. I have experienced the "Out of Stock" syndrome, once waiting 10 months for a cymbal stand. I havent bought much from Music 123 but I did get a clearance G&L delivered to my door in 3 days.
I don't find that MF and GC have great prices. I can almost always find things as cheap or cheaper somewhere else. If I do, then I buy it from the place that will give me the best service. In this regard, I think that the greatest "service" that GC provides is price competition - the local shops have to compete, and the best ones usually do.

• Members
Originally posted by SentimentalMood

McDonald's Sucks!!!

I hate that thing.

Horrible.

Good selection, crappy service by high school kids who don't know anything about cheeseburgers.

I walked in there once and a guy behind the counter asks me if I need help and I tell him I'm just looking at the pictures of their tasty burgers.

I start checking out some hamburgers, cheeseburgers, fries, etc.

The dude asks me if there's anything I'm looking for.

I tell him I'm just looking for something to blow my lunch money on and, since I'm not old enough to be considered as an experienced burger connoisseur, the dude tells me that the first thing I have to decide on is if I like the two bun Big n Tasty system or the three bun Big Mac system, while I'm standing right here staring at a DISTINCTLY TWO-BUN QUARTER POUNDER.

I almost told him that I prefer two-bun Whoppers and three-patty Wendy's Classic Triples, but I just walked out of the restaurant.

Plus the Michael McDonald playing in that place was annoying the heck out of me.

So McDonald's sucks, at least around here.

I'll be shopping at my tiny school cafeteria from now on, which I like much better.

Those ladies actually somewhat know what they're talking about.

The McDonalds here in Nebraska has all educated experienced fat guys working there. I went there a few weeks ago for the first time for a set of fries......it's close to the house, and fries are fries. I never went there before because of their reputation for hiring idiots. I was taken completely off guard when I found that they actually knew their business! I talked to the manager and asked if he was hiring and talked to him about the service that I got.

Believe it ir not, this store hired all experienced fat guys BECAUSE of the horrible reputation that McDonalds has gotten over the years! The manager is an experienced fat guy which helps a lot in the hiring and firing around there.......LOL. He told me "Nebraska has a lot of unemployed fat guys so it was pretty easy to hire a decent staff" and laughed.

I thought that you would get a kick out of this!

(soyrry had to do it!)

L8R

Raths

• Members

you should be able to order delicious tasty burgers and fries over the internets that would show MC Dees.MF has been pretty good to me just recieved a gigbag a few days ago came very quick even though it was backordered for the day I put my order in.They're cool w/returns.Music 123 was a real pita when I returned a guitar a few months back took forever couldn't get a hold of anyone in customer service I doubt i'll buy anything big from them again unless it's something I have to have.Only been to GC a few times (just opened recently) but they have a decent selection and anything expensive i'd buy I would have researched beforehand.

• Members
Originally posted by SKYNETRP

The Guitar Center here in Memphis has all educated experienced musicians working there. I went there a few weeks ago for the first time for a set of strings......it's close to the house, andstrings are strings. I never went there before because of their reputation for hiring idiots. I was taken completely off guard when I found that they actually knew their business! I talked to the manager and asked if he was hiring and talked to him about the service that I got.

Believe it ir not, this store hired all experienced musicians BECAUSE of the horrible reputation that GC has gotten over the years! The manager is an experienced musician which helps a lot in the hiring and firing around there.......LOL. He told me "Memphis has a lot of unemployed musicians so it was pretty easy to hire a decent staff" and laughed.

I thought that you would get a

I WISH my local GC was like that.
(sigh)

That would be cool.

Especially if they stopped playing the metal in the background constantly.

Now THAT would be guitar heaven.

:cry:

• Members

Does fair amount of bussiness with musicians friend online. Has for many years. No problems. One order got messed up for product they shipped, the corrected that quickly and let me keep the wrong product they sent as well. Has returned items only twice.

• Members

Where I live the nearest GC is about 200 miles away. It is always a fun special treat to take a day trip and stop by. I usually find that the staff is courteous and polite, if I am. I see dicks in the store whenever we stop by, just wailing away on the stock, but I don't let that bother me. If one of the sales people tells me something that is wrong, I just smile and thank them, and tell them I am just looking right now. Any trip to GC can be fun, if you just remember that you are lucky to have a store where they have more than a couple brands and just a few of the more popular models of those brands, and the price on the tag is not just the suggested retail price. MF is great to deal with and I have ordered alot of stuff from them. Just my: ist2_123794_my_two_cents.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by IdaCrue

Any trip to GC can be fun, if you just remember that you are lucky to have a store where they have more than a couple brands and just a few of the more popular models of those brands, and the price on the tag is not just the suggested retail price.

I haven't been to Guitar Center, since the closest one is around 200 miles away. I agree with IdaCrue about people being lucky to have one close.

The few stores that are close to me, are just like what IdaCrue said. Also, no refunds, store credit only.

As for Musicians Friend, I have complained a couple of times on here about them, but mostly small things. Overall, I think that they have one of the best return policies, and customer service.

The customer service isn't very good, if your only talking to the first person that picks up the phone. They don't always care about you, or their job. If you ask for a supervisor, sometimes they won't even put one on the line.

If you can get one on the line, then they will give you excellent customer service(at least from my experiences with them). Too bad it's not like that all the time.

• Members
Originally posted by Raths

The McDonalds here in Nebraska has all educated experienced fat guys working there. I went there a few weeks ago for the first time for a set of fries......it's close to the house, and fries are fries. I never went there before because of their reputation for hiring idiots. I was taken completely off guard when I found that they actually knew their business! I talked to the manager and asked if he was hiring and talked to him about the service that I got.

Believe it ir not, this store hired all experienced fat guys BECAUSE of the horrible reputation that McDonalds has gotten over the years! The manager is an experienced fat guy which helps a lot in the hiring and firing around there.......LOL. He told me "Nebraska has a lot of unemployed fat guys so it was pretty easy to hire a decent staff" and laughed.

I thought that you would get a kick out of this!

(soyrry had to do it!)

L8R

Raths

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thu: :thu:

• Members

I go to several GC's every week looking for cool used stuff. Pretty much every employee has seen me in their stores and if you go there a lot and just look around eventually they leave you alone. They won't spend the time on anyone not buying. So I have the place to myself and when I do buy something I buy from one guy in each store. He knows not to bug me, he knows when I need him I'll get his attention.

Keep in mind these sales guys are just people trying to do a job and like any job, some are better than others at it. Some sales guy's help, some annoy, just like any other person doing any other job. You can't avoid them, you just deal with it.

When I have to talk to a salesman I can see I don't want to be bothered with I just make up some BS for him. I tell him my brother sent me in to see if they had any so-and-so's and I'm just looking around to kill some time. If there is another store nearby I'll say my wife is in the store next door and I'm just killing time. Sometimes I just tell them the truth, I'm looking for used stuff. If they don't have what you want they can't sell it to you and they won't bug you.

• Members
Originally posted by chu2

I hate that thing.

ESPECIALLY considering they own GC.

It's the wal-mart of music stores.

Horrible.

Good selection, crappy service by college kids who don't know anything about guitar.

I walked in there once and a guy walks up to me and asks me if I need help and I tell him I'm just looking.

I start checking out some teles, strats, etc.

The dude walks up to me and asks me if there's anything I'm looking for.

I tell him I'm just looking for something to blow my christmas money one and, since I'm not old enough to be considered as an experienced guitarist, the dude tells me that the first thing I have to decide on is if I like the two-pickup gibson system or the three pickup fender system, while I'm standing right here staring at a DISTINCLY TWO-PICKUP FENDER TELECASTER.

I almost told him that I perfer two-pikcup telecasters and three-pickup Black Beauty 'Pauls, but I just walked out of the store.

Plus the smoke on the water playing over the din in that place was annoying the heck out of me.

So GC sucks, at least around here.

And I don't like MF becase they support GC.

:mad:

I'll be shopping at my tiny local store from now on, which I like much better.

Those guys actually somewhat know what they're talking about.

Spend your money where you prefer. Pretty simple.

• Members

Did you ever listen to Hanson? I hate that thing. Ever driven a Hyundai? I hate that thing too. Hmmm...root canal? I hate that thing as much as GC or MF...Ever run out of weed? I hate that thing...Ever forget proper English?...I hate that thing...

• Members

I think you need to take it easier on those guys. They don't know how much you know about gear, they can't read your mind and they don't know your past. I think he was just trying to help you, is that really THAT offensive that you'd treat him like that? Those guys make a living mostly off commission so of course they're going to try to push product on you, going in there you have to understand that. If it was how you fed yourself you'd do it too. And sales jobs aren't fun dude, customers with crappy attitudes only make it worse. They're already taking pressure to sell, as well as pressure on themselves to sell as much as possible so they can eat or pay rent, and here you come in knowing everything and don't even want to listen. Sounds like the problem is not with GC.

• Members

I guess I was jsut in a negative frame of mind when I started this whole thing.

But the thing that really got me going was taht the same salesguy tracked me throughout my whole trip.

I walk through the fron door to the wall of electrc guitars.

He walks up to me there.

Then I walk to the acoustic room.

He follows me there.

Then I walk to the turntables.

At this point I'm starting to get anxious and annoyed around the third time he asked me if I needed help.

Keyboard room-he tracks me down there, too.

I got annoyed.
So I left.

And now I shop at my local Mid Michigan Music and am a happy man.